Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Scott 634. 2 Ink Stains And A Copper Thread.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
Posted 03/29/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First two have I think ink stains and the last one has a piece of copper thread?

First stamp has ink stain down middle of head.

second stamp has a large dot in fornt of head, Sletter "S" in stats odd and upper square in corner is that doubled or a plate scratch?

Last stamp has a piece of copper wire in the ink by the letter "O" in Washington. It looks like it flipped from its original spot on top of the "O"? The stamp is badly damaged at the top with a major tare.

Send note to Staff
Michael Darabaris

Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
any help Here? How did these occur? Are they common?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm partial to the one where a piece of hair or lint caused the inking issue in the 'o' of Washington!

It's surprising we don't see things like that more often. We've all seen lint in the air when the light is just right. That exists about everywhere including the print shops where stamps were made. And humans shed hair all the time. It's only where they are repeated over a period of time in the same place on a plate that they become a 'variety'. The one that comes to my mind first is the Scott 24 'Curl on shoulder' varieties. The one with a copper thread is interesting but a one-off type error...and who knows how it happened.

I've found similar 'errors' on Scott 295 where I have been able to locate several of the same error and others where I'm still searching for a 2nd copy of an 'error'. I would not claim to have discovered a 'new' variety though unless I can pinpoint it's position on a particular plate be able to demonstrate it having been repeated more than once.

These are not 634's but are inserted here to make my point.

One I've found more than once:

One I'm still searching for it's double:

Some refer to this as 'flyspecking' - I call it just another interesting part of the hobby!
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you notice the piece or hair or wire is still attached to the stamp. It looks metallic.
Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually it's ink.
Valued Member
United States
452 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused. I took more pictures. This is what I am seeing. So the top part is a shaped like a question mark and is ink mainly ink. The bottom from the "O" down, is like a hook shape is thread or wire. I have light shining from different sides to show how it reflects the light from different angles. This only can be done if raised. The hook goes down to the second line above the "T" .

Michael Darabaris
Pillar Of The Community
United States
606 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, thought you were referring to the stamp I posted. Wire or thread, it doesn't matter. It was inadvertently introduced during the printing of this sheet. Could have been in the ink when applied.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4006 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks as though the debris pushed into the paper as the printing occurred, and then flipped downward, becoming stuck to the printed surface.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05