Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Civil War Soldier's Corrrespondence With Stamp

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 958Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is certainly true that demonetization did not happen right away everywhere.

Acceptance of old stamps appears to have been scaled out, by post office, starting August 1861.

By 1862, such usages become quite unusual.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
594 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Txstamp - I assume this falls into the unusual use after 1862 category?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since learned that this fellow is thought to be a Warren Tapley, Assistant Surgeon of the 8th Massachusetts, and that the photo was taken in early 1861 in Elkridge, Maryland. Sorry I did not have that information when I originally posted.

Hope y'all enjoyed it.

Edited with an afterthought: I'm now wondering what the earliest photograph is of someone with a letter with an identifiable (pretty much anyway) stamp.
Edited by jleb1979 - 04/03/2020 12:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
caper - heh. Fun cover.

Tying it into pandemics - I guess the Spanish Flu probably can't survive 102 years on paper. Or can it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
early 1861

That makes it an 1857 issue stamp; probably #26.
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm late to this party but I thought I'd drop an idea no one else brought up. Civil war era photographers were notorious for staging photos. The pipe and letter could well be photographers props rendering dates irrelevant.

I'm not obsessive enough to do it but if you looked through lots of Brady photos you might find many different soldiers reading the same "letter from home". Too bad we can't read the address. if it was M. Brady we could be sure.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 958Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05