Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Due Markings Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 704Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Penguins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

Attached scan shows two postage due markings and I would like confirmation that the letters I. S. stand for Inland Section
and the letter D and H are the initials of the relevant hand-stamp used.

I have found it very difficult to garner information on these marks, despite web searches and checking our reasonably good selection of catalogues. Though they are illustrated in three catalogues that we have, none of them explain what the initials stand for.

Does anyone know of a good site dealing with postage due markings?

Regards.
Ron.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1468 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that the I.S. stood for Internal Section. The other notation you may come across with the postage dues is F. B., which was Foreign Branch.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by 22crows - 03/30/2020 08:44 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charge, Instructional and explanatory marks.
The Inland Section
Marks with IB = Inland Branch

Large Figures, code letters beneath, or uncoded
black or green from 1900's

Yours Cat#427 1.5d CV 2 1983 (Coded "D")
1d coded "H" CV 1

Bib: Collect British Postmarks. Dr. J.T.Whitney 1983
ISBN 0582406226
Edited by rod222 - 03/30/2020 4:25 pm
Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses.

22crows -
Do you have a source for 'Internal Section' or is that your understanding of it?

Rod,

Thanks for that information though it was I.S. rather than I.B. I was interested in.

Update on this from Great Britain Philatelic Society

"Ron, great source is the Postage Due Mail Study Group. There was a series of 6 articles on these stamps 2002-2004 in great detail especially about the letters. Anyway IS is for Inland Section and FB Foreign Branch. The extra index letter is presumed to differentiate various handstamps of the same denomination. That way a check could be made on who or which group had actually taxed any given item.
Regards"

So it seems my supposition was correct.
Regards to all
Ron.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for that information though it was I.S. rather than I.B. I was interested in.

Quote:
Charge, Instructional and explanatory marks.
The Inland Section

Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool Ron....
we all miss stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1468 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry the info I posted was wrong. It was from an old posting on another site, and not corrected at the time.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day,

22crows.... No worries, it is pretty hard to keep up with things all the time.

Rod222.
Thanks for the scan, appreciated.

Regards
Ron
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   3:41 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Penguins,

I regularly refer to:

'British Postage Due Mail 1914-1971" by Michael Furfie, he is an active member and contributor to the Postage Due Mail Study Group mentioned above. It is only 6 for membership to the group and a great resource.

I also refer to "Postage Due in Great Britain - Stamps and Postmarks" by Curt Fernau and "Unpaid and Underpaid Mail 1840 to 1921. England and Wales" by R I Johnson.

I also have 'The Book of T" by Edward Leahy in soft copy. Can email to you in you PM your email address.

John
Valued Member
Australia
257 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penguins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello John,

Many thanks indeed for that information.

My original query was on behalf of someone else so I will pass your response on to him.

Many thanks for the offer of the Book of T but I think he would not go too deeply into it. Very much appreciated though.
I did pass on the information and url of the Postage Due Mail Study Group as well.

Regards.
Ron.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4362 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another example for this thread. 11 September '61, Delft, Netherlands to Woodford Green, Great Britain.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/17/2020 1:22 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 704Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05