Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Help With Identifying This Stamp And Why It Looks Like This? Thankx

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 475Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add brett420024 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6771 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wild guess. It was attached to the cover with a piece of tape. I would keep this stamp away from my collection

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel is over the area where the tape would have been, so if it's tape it should still be affixed to the stamp. Any sign of residual tape?

What does the stamp look like from the back?

Another thought would be a label underneath the stamp when on cover leached through.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brett420024 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It Looks like cancel is over this stripe

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29348 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is evidence of leftover gum from "sellotape" or similar. (Scotch Tape)
The stamp is ruined in my opinion.
Edited by rod222 - 03/31/2020 02:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
792 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The underlying stamp is from Japan, part of the Tazawa definitive series (Scott 115-147, 239-254, plus some stragglers). I can't quite tell if it's the 30-sen or the 50-sen. There are a number of types, based on die and watermark, but neither of those two denominations is worth that much used (Scott cv ranging between $0.30 and $2.00), so I think there's not much justification to trying to rescue it, imo.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible to rescue tape stains, but not really worth the effort on stamps worth less than $100 or so IMHO. I did it with some Greenland Pakke Porto issues a few years ago.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29348 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to try, you can chase up this.......
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05