Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Carpe Covid, USPS, Carpe Covid !

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,503Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
'
Let's consider the delivery side of the US postal system:

- Letter Carriers will be called-up for reserve duty, and

- Letter Carriers will be called-up for National Guard duty, and

- Letter Carriers who are retired military are subject to being called-up for active service, and

- Letter Carriers will be calling-in sick, and

- Letter Carriers will be caring for loved ones / family members, and

- Letter Carriers will be quarantined for one reason or another, and ...

This systemic labor shortage can be met in a number of ways.

One way would be to hire temp workers, shovel-out the over-time, etc.

Another would be to cut the number of hours required to deliver the mail:

- Letter Carrier schedules change to 3x 12-hour days each week, and

- Odd-numbered zip codes get delivery on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and

- Even-numbered zip codes get delivery on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Carpe Covid, USPS, Carpe Covid !

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2794 Posts
Posted 03/30/2020   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With businesses shutting down, it is easy to see a real drop in mail volume (and revenue) for the postal service. This would be the time to curtail Saturday delivery and then leave it that way, yet retain Saturday window hours.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4498 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can see package volume going way up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
930 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm already getting noticeably less junk mail than usual.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I can see package volume going way up ...

Don't know what's by you, but we have a separate morning USPS package delivery that is not by the regular on his route.

Moreover, Amazon is building-out their last mile capability, and clever wags have suggested that WalMart buy FedEx, so I think that the USPS Parcel Party is winding-down.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4498 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a rural carrier. Other than Amazon we receive a lot of parcels via USPS and my wife is ensuring that volume increases.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rich60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting mostly junk mail last 2 weeks. I have felt for last several years that USPS should be delivering Monday, Wednesday and Friday and keep PO windows open full time. Tuesday mail is almost non-existent in my neck of the woods anyway (outside DC). Let's face it - in the electronic age the mail is not long for this world.

Rich
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2794 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I suggested a few posts back that perhaps Saturday mail could be curtailed, I talked to my carrier today. As someone who has the perspective of delivering to hundreds of boxes every day, he indicates in recent weeks they are totally swamped with package deliveries - at nearly the levels of Thanksgiving to Christmas.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go for trained dogs delivering the mail. Parrots at the counters.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting conversation with your carrier John Becker. Perhaps people are staying home and ordering more items online with the current situation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4035 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live rural. One hour from Post Office. My life is being brought to me in packages by Amazon and Ebay and USPS, FedX and UPS through the Post Office. Mon.-Fri.
Big amount of banking in the form of money orders goes through the Post Office.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 04/01/2020 01:07 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
354 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I am working from home everyday, I can add an observation.

Previously, our carrier drove through the neighborhood area first delivering the packages, then went to the cluster boxes and delivered the normal mail.

Now, she focuses on the cluster boxes only and a separate vehicle drives through only delivering packages.

My guess is the package volume has increased to the point they split the deliveries by type.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2788 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon is likely focusing on a low cost delivery model. Walmart using FedEx is not likely to be low cost solution due to labor contracts.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3709 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A sample from Australia with parcel sale numbers increasing. Mailing times are slowing a little but our postie is flat out. So the slowing looks like it is from an increase in mailing items not covid19 at this point.

From last 9am Saturday to 9am Monday we sold just under $10,000 worth of sales.

Have never, never sold anything even close too this high sale result before.

Mostly it is from stamp sales but plant sales are ready to follow. Have lots of stock. Had to shut down my stamp sales and have saved it for another needy time. No need to sell any more our renovations are now paid for. It has been a long hard 18 months.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Amazon is likely focusing on a low cost delivery model. Walmart using FedEx is not likely to be low cost solution due to labor contracts ...

Great point!

Except ... what contracts?

UPS workers are represented by the Teamsters.

FDX workers ... not so much.

Moreover, remember the adage: The House Always Wins.

Buying FDX would give WalMart a delivery operation already profitably underwritten by its other customers ... with WMT as Customer #1, that would be customers #2, #3, #4, et al.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2788 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do agree the FedEx solution saves time and would like to see a competitor to amazon.

Imagine getting mail via Uber Mail style where you had ask for delivery and pay a tip!

Al
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,503Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05