Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Flatten The Curled Sheet Of MNH Japanese Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 337Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
10 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nvpgk55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a MNH sheet of Japanese stamps but unfortunately it is curled. I kept it between the pages of a book but didn't work. Please help me with any ideas how to make it flat.
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 03/31/2020   05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If your overall size fits a Hagner (Full Page) Sheet,
then I believe that is the only way, unless you soak in water (that too, is dangerous due to fragility of perforations)

The science behind a curled stamp, the differential when humid gum arabic
dries, the gum retracts, pulling the paper with it.

A simple example is your school science the "Bi Metal bar"
prZyKcGe1xQ

Hagner / Vario full page sheet
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 03/31/2020 05:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
755 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may not have kept it flat between the book or books for long enough. A curled piece of paper takes a "set" after awhile. You need to reset the paper. If it was a single stamp or single piece of paper, you could roll the paper in the other direction to reset the curl and flatten the paper. You probably don't want to do that to a sheet of stamps because you might tear some of the perforations. But flattening the sheet of stamps can be done by pressure if you use enough pressure and enough time. It may take weeks, and it will require not just "a" book but a lot of books or other weight.

I suggest putting the sheet between pieces of glassine paper to prevent any of the glue from attaching to the books from humidity. Place the glassine covered sheet of stamps carefully under a pile of heavy books and wait at least a week or two. Do this in a room with moderate humidity. The sheet should lose a lot of its curl. If not, most people would just put it into a large stamp mount and hope for the best. Stamps mounted in albums often flatten out, so this might flatten your sheet of stamps over time, as well.

Good luck.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29354 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suggest putting the sheet between pieces of glassine paper to prevent any of the glue from attaching to the books from humidity.

You can also employ "Freezer Bags" (flat) if the wife has any at home.
Gum Arabic will not adhere at all to Freezer bags.
Place sheet on top of 1 freezer bag, and a clean sheet of paper on top then into the book.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05