Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Center For Japanese Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 9,170Next Topic
Page: of 10
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 02/18/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japan Prefectures
Steiner Page 26.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 04/11/2022   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Japan: Registration Indicia
The changing "R" fount, over time.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 04/25/2022   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Outbid
Japanese Offices Abroad
Offices in China

SOLD $28 + ship
Kinda kicking myself, very rare these come up for auction, in my world.
Not game to count the Catalogue value I missed.

Edited by rod222 - 04/25/2022 11:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SCF members should note that all the China overprints are genuine here, if you want something for comparison.

I also haven't found any lots of offices like this in a long time. I don't see much at all even in the smaller Japan collections, either, though there were never many (genuine or forgeries) in collections on this side. Funny that I am slowly buying them one by one along with genuine Cherry Blossoms from a seller in Oz(!).

I spy with my little eye the middle 2 sen with a Shanghai IJPO cancel (not unexpected). There are also 4 Manchurian cancels; the 1s and one of 5s is cancelled Mukden, the other two are identifiable but unknown to me without running to references. But the 20s cancel with 3 stars at the bottom is a non-postal cancel.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that running appraisal, saved.
Are there not 2 x IJPO postmarks?
(The brace of red 3 sen)

Would you please expand on the 20s non postal Pmk.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I.J.P.O. postmarks are for mail sent to foreign destinations but, as expected, the majority are from Shanghai. The one on the pair of 3 sen is unknown to me, so it's off to the references.

All Japanese cancels with the three stars at bottom are for something other than postage, maybe money orders or other business. I will look these up again to see exactly what specifically, but these cancels were never used for postage. For Japan in general, pre-World War II 20th Century issues, most of the cancels in my/our collections did not come from mail but from telegraph/telephone/other business receipt forms. It's remarkable how uncommon postally-used stamps of that period are. One day I will go into this subject in detail. Specific remarks on this bunch come first.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/26/2022 07:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm BAAAAACK!

Pareidolia says the IJPO cancel on the 3s pair is CHEFOO with a really bad "E". Makes sense, anyway.

The comb cancel type with 3 stars at the bottom was used for telephone and telegraph purposes beginning with the Kiku/Chrysanthemum issue. It wasn't the only style used for that. So it more or less replaced the small double ring cancel we find on the Koban issues.

However, the 3 stars type was used postally during World War II. In Korea, Karafuto, Sapporo and some possessions since 1940, in Japan during 1943-45 except for military and seapost offices. The stars were also replaced by a prefecture name or equivalent character during that period. These wartime versions are probably going to be hard to find outside of Japan.

For the comb type, the only consistently postally used type is one with a time signature at the bottom, a combination of arabic numerals and a kanji character. Like this:

The leftmost character is "go" (p.m.) and the numbers are the time range in hours.

Collectors of used Japan all have partial strikes of various comb cancels, so the usage is indeterminate so long as the bottom section isn't present. But I think you'll find few purely postal cancels otherwise. A bit depressing to me, but there it is.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/27/2022 01:28 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll save this, a tad hard to digest all that at once.

You call "Comb" type, I know it as "Bridge" type (In general philately)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/27/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Comb" seems to be used by Japanese references. "Bridge" I know, but it is also called the "German type" by a number of references.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This was submitted by member graphis way back when in:
http://goscf.com/t/50284
which is now blocked.

Reading these things in stylized script is tough in this day and age. I can't even read the destination. If someone can translate at least a bit more, it would likely be useful; front and back are shown clearly. But here's some bare-bones info.

The postmark is from Tomiyama. There is/was more than one Tomiyama. The postmark date is 1937, November 8 (although November 9 is written on the back). It's addressed to someone named Iguchi for whatever that's worth.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc#466 1949 8Yen Doves over Nagasaki.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Miniature Sheet. Insects 1986 (With toning)
Scott Type A1245

Seek Translation please.
Suggest "Facsimiles" for 90 year Anniversary of Japanese Postage stamps
Could not find in Sakura, albeit I am not familiar with navigating that catalogue.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35461 Posts
Posted 05/31/2022   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unknown
3 differing papers
Last sheet is "Laid Paper" (Horizontal Laid.)

Edited by rod222 - 05/31/2022 07:47 am
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 148 / Views: 9,170Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05