Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Center For Japanese Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 6,995Next Topic
Page: of 9
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   02:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Non Philatelic
A treat for the new year 2021
Modern Japan
Have you heard NINGEN ISU ? (Since 1987)

CbI79e5iZKs
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
France
11 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wedge632 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy New Year to all the community!

Getting back into Japanese stamps lately...I have three of the 1st Air mail stamps in used condition. I hold them as forgeries until told otherwise.

Might any of you have any information about these stamps? how to spot forgeries? Their usage? etc.

Thank you in advance.

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 02/18/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a postage stamp issued for the Tokyo-Osaka test flight conducted by the Imperial Flight Association in October 1919.
The genuine overprints have very fine lines.

Genuine stamps are highly valuable because it was sold only in 37 post offices in Tokyo and Osaka the day when the flight mail was accepted and for the 3 days following only.
Edited by perf12 - 02/18/2021 12:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1203 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my eBay purchases that arrived today is a Fumi Card depicting the first four Japanese postage stamps, which were issued on 20 April 1871.

Fumi Cards were prepaid cards (similar to Japanese telephone cards, Quo Cards, etc.) that could be used to purchase stamps and postal stationery at Japanese post offices; the word fumi means 'letter' or 'note'. This card is one of the 17 designs issued at the start of the program on 1 April 1989. 175,000 cards were printed with this particular design.

Sales of Fumi Cards ended with the reorganization of the postal system as Japan Post on 1 April 2003. They continued to be valid until 30 September 2006, when Japan Post ceased to be a government-owned entity, but it was still possible to get refunds for unused cards until 30 September 2011.

The pinhole above the zero indicates that the card's 3000 value was used in full.
Edited by erilaz - 03/06/2021 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what a great thread!!
I'll spend some time reading here wish I seen this earlier
Just caught myself up, helped ID two stamps in the process
What are some good resources for early cancellations?
Answered my own question
http://goscf.com/t/4452

a parcel package roller cancellation?

Edited by Just_fella - 03/06/2021 11:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys,
I'm putting together a small collection of japan stamps(not buying just using what I got)
its possible that I have a few nice cancellations but they could be fake!(nothing too fancy)
id like to detail as much as I could about the few I have and make a nice little book, why not
Not sure its polite to post and ask so much, this week I've had some time... sorry
though trying to learn and help (should just leave it to the pros)heck I'm horrible at asking questions, writing them and worse at explaining things!
i only had a old (1965) scott to use and SCF but ill made it work till I can get to the library and get a newer scott then ill update the numbers and separate there year and what have you.
alright enough blah blah
though a little embarrassed seeing the pages are defiantly not what I would like them to look like ATM (out dated #'s, sloppy lables and well most look empty)
I'm wondering if its ok to post a couple picture of some pages?
and maybe get some feed back or information.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just fella, post away! Now that you've made me/everyone curious...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely a slow go...
Language barrier is difficult
I'd like to eventually have the listings and descriptions of the postmarks and would be pretty sweet ( I'd like to do that with a couple other countries too)
To add a clean photo of some of the PM's seeing I only have a few
Might be a long project but worth it IMO

Like I said nothing too surprising or special
Just a little fun for me (sloppy labels for now, printer has been down)
Anyway here's a couple pages

Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

There's a recent edition of Scott volume 4 currently on eBay for $15 USD.

The info contained therein, along with a watermark tray and fluid, would go a long way towards providing identifications for the stamps you posted.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's over 50$+ for a used copy to make it's way to me
That's why I used my old Scott some ronson and a black lid
Until I find something more in-depth for probably around the same if not a little bit more
Edited by Just_fella - 04/15/2021 4:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Typically, it's the forged stamps that have fake cancels. There are none here. I also don't see the small double circle telephone cancels, making the stamps somewhat cheaper.

You are going to have to have clear images of at least the tops of CDSs to get towns/cities identified. Your #74 is from a suboffice of Tokyo but I can't tell which from here (if I can at all. But someone might).

The cheap old Scott volumes generally come from libraries [or "Friends of ... Library") getting rid of their old copies. The older, the cheaper. As for shipping, see if you can limit a search to Canadian sources. Make sure they don't use a plastic book shipping bag to send, the books just break right through.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/15/2021 10:52 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does any member, have, and want to share, an editable LIST of all the PREFECTURE stamps please?

I have Sakura, and a mimeographed list of the first 300,
I would like an editable list so I can add details to my scans.
Catalogue numbers not important, just ID of the vignette, and what Prefecture or Region.

Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
France
1982 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not an editable list,but this might help (stamps from 1998 to 2017) :
http://yushu.or.jp/english/e_sdate/index.html
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33557 Posts
Posted 04/28/2021   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Vayolene,
I can transfer to Notepad

Current status, I have 400 of the 700 odd Prefectures.

My Mimeographed example, I don't see my colleagues being able to OCR
they are too distorted methinks.
But would be preferable.
Edited by rod222 - 04/28/2021 01:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   06:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been sorting out my Japanese stamps lately and one thing I noticed is that the Scott catalog (naturally) fails to detail perforation varieties existent, especially with issues like the Koban issues. They mention multiple perforation possibilities, but I am interested in knowing which stamps can be found in which perforations.

Is there a online source that details this?

I did some searching around on SCF, but didn't find anything based on the thread title at least.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 6,995Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05