Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Center For Japanese Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 7,057Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This probably won't be online since the subject has already been thoroughly covered in specialized references. There is a koban study group online but they seem to be largely into studying forgeries and new finds.

For kobans, see this collection;
http://www.stampedia.net/stamp/exhibition/75_1/en
I haven't checked if all perf varieties are present, but it gives you some idea of how much there is for the lower values. As you get to the higher values, there are very much fewer perf varieties. There are a fair number of perfs that are known on used stamps of some values but unknown/unreported on some of their mint counterparts.

Koban perf varieties are covered in the Nissen JSCA specialized catalog. It is in Japanese but if you just want a listing of perf varieties for each value, it's easy to figure out. I believe all you'll need is volume 1 covering stamps up to 1946. That might be available from the APRL via interlibrary loan. Be aware that my older copy does not detail perfs for the Cherry Blossom issues except for the MLL (Matsuda Large Long) perf.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 10/26/2021 07:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everything Hy-Brasil said. In fact, his answer is much better than mine would have been. And I was not aware of that stamp exhibit, so my thanks go out to him for that, too!

I just checked, and in my 2016 edition of the Japan Specialized volume 1 he referred to, just the Koban section is about 25 pages, listing and valuing what seem to be every known color, paper, and perforation variety.

So, in my opinion, this is not something where the answer is kind of like Michel specialized listings and a page or two from the catalog will cover it, but rather something closer to 3-D chess. It's thorny.

But all just my 2-sen's worth!
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 10/26/2021 12:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hy-brasil - Thank you for the information. I will check the APRL, but I also may check into getting a copy for myself.

Out of curiosity, you say your older copy does not cover perf varieties. Do you happen to have an idea what year catalog would be good to look for, that would include the perf varieties? Not really concerned about being up to date for values or anything, just for the information.

philatarium -I'm finding many rabbit holes to go down, as I progress with the worldwide collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard -- It's not just a rabbit hole, it's an entire underground rabbit city!
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spain_1850 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philatarium - You know, going through that exhibit hy-brasil linked to, I'm almost tempted to slip them back into the envelopes and quietly walk away. I will have to do some thinking on just how far I want to take those issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a stock book full of them, with hundreds each of the lower values. One of these days I'll have to look closely enough to decide how detailed I wish to be with my pages... :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5591 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice New {1883-1892 ] Koban collection that was linked to this site . The exhibitor should of pointed out which cancels were used by the forgers ......A excellent exhibit ,a good learning experience .
Edited by floortrader - 10/26/2021 10:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
Posted 10/26/2021   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Richard: No one could blame you!

I still accumulate them whenever I can get them in quantity, with the hopes of someday actually getting around to trying to identify the different paper types, shades, and perfs. (Who knows if I'll ever realize that goal or not.)

Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2573 Posts
Posted 11/10/2021   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
spain_1850, my old JSCA does not cover the perf varieties for the Cherry Blossom issues except for what's called MLL (Matsuda Large Long). It does for each koban value and includes pricing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 11/12/2021   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My old JSCA is old enough to be in black and white... I just ordered a new one, since I have all these I need to go through before I do Japan formally. :)
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 11/12/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 11/26/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R H RAMSDEN produced facsimile sheets 12x9 ... of tebori classics.

see here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1af...?usp=sharing
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
Posted 12/01/2021   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The new volume of "Visual JSCA", 1871-1876 (etched issues, dragons/cherry blossoms/birds) will be issued October 20, 2021. (..) Publishing date postponed to December 2021. As JPP informed, there are some omissions/mistakes to be adjusted with deadline early N... ISBN978-4-88963-857-8 Size B5, 160pp., all colour and bilingual japanese/english, amazing. Price printed on reverse (inland) is Y.3000. Florian Eichhorn
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 134 / Views: 7,057Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05