Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lindner+leuchtturm Hybrid? Upgrading Solutions.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 247Next Topic  
Valued Member
France
7 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wedge632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

I'm in need for some advise on how to upgrade my stamp collecting system.
Due to the variety of my Japanese collection, some of you might know the problem of commemorative sheets, blocks, strips, souvenir sheets etc. I am looking for an affordable yet flexible solution which would allow me to compile classic stamps of all sorts and sizes, blocs, sheets, souvenir and commemorative sheets and all the other odd specimmen.

Pre-printed pages is really not my thing and does not provide the flexibility I want.
Lighthouse Grande plastic pages are not rigid enough, Alpha pages are good for stocking, but not ideal to elegantly display valuable Stamps.

My attention was caught by Lindner T and DT pages series. This system could meet my requirement. Only problem, the limitation of Lindner binders.
Lindner binders apart from their overly 70s look, (the Lighthouse Grande series do look nicer aesthetically wise). Lindner binders from what I can see on their website seem to have a smaller capacity than that of Lighthouse.

Have any of you any experience with the T and DT pages? are they compatible with any of Lighthouse's binders?
If not, if you have any alternative recommendation, it would be more than welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4786 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know, Lindner pages won't fit Lighthouse binders - deliberately so. You could try Safe, which offer similar pages to Lindner, but different binders. This is the UK site, but I'm sure there's a French one

https://www.safealbums.co.uk/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
753 Posts
Posted 04/01/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Each album manufacturer uses a different hole-punching system. This requires owners of binders to use only that brand's pages. I don't think they're interchangeable because they each have a different number of rings and a different number of holes in each page. You can easily see that in photos. So you choose one or the other, but I can't see how you can interchange them.

As for pages with plastic pockets, the only way you're going to know if particular pages appeal to you is to order some and look at them. You might be able to ask for sample pages from each manufacturer. Barring that, just order one packet of pages and see if they appeal to you. All the suggestions you get from complete strangers (like me!) are of little use unless a page/album system works for your situation. There's no great mystery to these albums and their pages once you look at some samples.

I don't like all the plastic that has enveloped the stamp collecting hobby. Everything gets mounted in plastic which then gets put into another piece of plastic. Yeah, I know, it's to preserve and protect our stamps. But I'd guesstimate that 95% of the stamps that end up in these expensive and somewhat unattractive plastic pages really don't need that level of protectin. They just need careful mounting. A single stamp mount for a stamp or block is all you really need. Or a stamp hinge. Some of us still use hinges and they work just fine. Yes, it's true, no longer will our "rare" stamps be MNH, but we don't care about small hinge marks on the backs of our stamps - or our stamps already have hinge marks on them. For those committed to MNH quality, just use mounts. They come in all conceivable sizes and will fit on nearly any size blank page from all publishers -- Davo, Stanley Gibbons, KaBE, Lighthouse, Marini, Yvert, Lindner, Scott (the pages I prefer), you name it.

If you prefer plastic pages, are you going to slide your large multiples into the plastic pockets without first putting them into mounts? I'd say that's a bit risky since a block of stamps can bend and tear if you do that. It always comes back to using mounts of some kind, in my estimation. It it's in a mount, it's likely to be safe. So my preference would be to eschew plastic pages and use blank pages with stamps mounted in stamp mounts.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by DrewM - 04/01/2020 5:42 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05