Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Photo Post Card Identify

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 558Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chevelle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can any SCF folks identify the location of this real photo post card?

This is an unused AZO card with four triangles up in the stamp box corners dating its manufacture between 1904-1918.

Dave

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
165 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you provide a scan of the address side?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by gslaten - 04/02/2020 1:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
The RPPC Stamp Box database is a wonderful resource, but you would do well to remember that it was, like so much in philately, assembled by a volunteer who was not reporting to a supervisor who would fire them for making a mistake or a guess.

I've only used it a handful of times, and already I've found an RPPC with a stamp box that falls outside the geographic limits in the database; this makes sense, as smaller markets could have bought a box of paper from just about anywhere.

Q/ Perhaps a HighRes scan of the name on the side of that wagon will give us a lead?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Learn More...
8033 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Wagon is a Swift and Company wagon, they were found in many cities. No real help.
Don
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don, you nailed it, Swift & Company. There are several other signs in the background that, if readable, are only advertisements. ikey/Pikey, as requested, here's a scan of the reverse side of the card.

Dave

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
890 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The building facade has the name up toward the top "cohen's auction commission and storage house". Now if someone had some old directories to search, you may find location.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6500 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
D.H. Cohen, Auction and Commissions is listed in a book called History of Montana 1739-1885: A History of its Discovery and Settlement by Michael A Leeson (1885) and shows the auction house as located in Butte Mo.
This listing dates from 1878-79.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=lB...ouse&f=false

See page 924
Edited by jamesw - 04/02/2020 11:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 04/02/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most impressive.

I tried googling both the soft & exact phrase (off the sign) and got exactly nowhere.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who does not have a subscription at https://www.newspapers.com/)
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to zoom in you can see a name on the front of the glass box that says MONEY behind the wagon... A real high rez scan may let you read it. If this is the Butte Cohen's I seriously doubt it was taken prior to 1885- no way they had that kind of electrical set up on power poles pre 1885. Also the DH Cohen business name is wrong- rppc says Cohen's Auction Commission and Storage House not just Auction and Commission.

I downloaded the pdf of the MT- Butte book. will go check the end pages for ads and see if there is a Cohen's- selling ad space was often how they paid for these community booster books to get printed..... fingers crossed, Andy
Edited by Revenue N Covers - 05/18/2020 10:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The MT history book is 1356 pages but alas, no ads. I tried "the greatest curiosity shop in the world" and only got three hits- one saying the Patent office was it, one saying the Dead Letter office was, and one in 1864 from Maine. Adding Cohen's without "" did not help at all.

No idea where this is but I doubt its a reprint of an 1885 scene in Butte, MT. I'd bet you will have to get zoomed in enough to read a poster or sign with a name on it to get something precise enough to search. It's bugging me- now I want to know....

edit: Butte got electricity February 18, 1882 so I guess it might be a c1885 view there.
Edited by Revenue N Covers - 05/18/2020 10:24 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05