Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acsc 189Bd 2d Mauve Die II Coil Perf

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 178Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
492 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itma to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a curiosity and a shame.

(Edit note
I put the catalogue number in the title as 189bd. This, however was changed to 189Bd which in ACSC parlance has a different meaning: B for colour/shade and d for variety. In this case it is bd for variety.)
M
The shame is that This is a coil perf pair with a CV of $30Aus but it is just hanging together by a single perf (or should I say UNperf) it. When it ultimately comes apart, its CV becomes $2.

The curiosity is that the two stamps are so badly lined up: the upper stamp is off centre tp the left and the upper stamp to the right. This comes about as this a join pair where strips of 20 stamps are joined together using the selvage to form the long of coil of 960. Join pairs used to command a premium price but, obviously, they were too easy fo counterfeit. This is particularly so for coils made from strips of 10 of the regular sheet stock which were readily available with selvage. This was a second way in which the Post Office created coils.

Send note to Staff
Edited by itma - 04/03/2020 10:36 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29324 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
using the selvage to form the long cold of 960.

Could not understand this, about the Selvedge.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
492 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Darned autocomplete. "Cold" should have read "coil". Sorry, Rod.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3444 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma. A bit better than my Paste-up single. I think the other half will show up somewhere.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29324 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank,
when I first saw your coil pair, I thought the top stamp, just had selvedge bent underneath and had become attached.
I have seen that numerous times, elsewhere

I guess you pair proves otherwise, esp. the fluffy ends of the teeth where they have separated.
I guess that little strip should have the watermark also to match the stamp, if separated.

Edited by rod222 - 04/04/2020 12:30 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 178Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05