Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Pow Card To Japan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 272Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am assuming that the Japanese script in the top left of this Canadian POW to be sent to Japan card reads "Prisoner of War" or something similar. Google translate does not help as I suspect it uses modern Japanese. The answer it produced fro Prisoner of war does not match what is on this card.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The late Ken Ellison's collection of Force "C" covers contained a number of these cards used by Canadian civilians to Prisoners of War held by the Japanese. He translated the Japanese inscription as "Prisoner of War Mail" E. R. Toop gives a bit more information on the card. It was introduced in July 1944 for use to the Far East. Postage was 10c, but was reduced to 5c on 25 July 1944. Finally, in January 1945 the cards were accepted free of postage. There were three printings, identified by the rate "Affix 10c Postage"; the second read "Affix Postage Here" and the third printing read "Postage Free / En Franchise". Your card is from the first printing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jarnick - 04/03/2020 1:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much. The "prisoner of war mail" was a reasonably obvious guess but I did not know of the other printings of these cards. This is the first of these I have found.

I have the Bailey and Toop books but not one that covers these items. Is it this book is in the CPSGB library but is says Post Second World War.

The Major E.R. Toop Collection of Canadian Military Postal History, Post Second World War

Can you please supply a reference to the volume you are referring to. It sound like something I should try to get. I guess it will be expensive.

AQ
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jarnic

Can I just check a date you wrote

Quote:
It was introduced in July 1944 for use to the Far East. Postage was 10c, but was reduced to 5c on 25 July 1944.

So the 10 cent rate only applied for three weeks or so or did you mean a previous year

AQ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Ken Ellison reference is to "Force 'C' - The Canadian Army's Hong Kong Story 1941-1945" p. 45; BNAPS Exhibit Series No. 8. The other information came from Ritch Toop's "The Major E. R. Toop Collection of Military Postal History Volume One" p. 367; published by BNAPS. The dates are from Ritch's album page.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
Posted 04/04/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you I will see how much they cost - I am a member but had not noticed these or if they are still available. I expect the postage from Canada to the UK will be crippling as usual.

I am surprised about that dates - It was a very rapid change of mind. (Much like politicians now days). I assume that the senders just put 5c stamps over the 10 c box.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
602 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If interested in buying the books, you might check on the availability through the Canadian Philatelic Society of Great Britain.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 272Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05