Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Big Blocks Of Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 593Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
236 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there anything that must be considered when purchasing larger stamp blocks?
I recently purchased this lovely block of yellow oz roos. Im sure someone will be able to identify it and appreciate it! excuse the bad crop job in uploader!

and this wonderful plate 1 block if 1935 New Zealand Chamber of commerce block plate 1

heres a single just for you to enjoy

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1145 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look for things like perforation separation or splitting, is the entire sheet unmounted, any tears or defects in the margins, creases or folds, etc. Usual stuff I would expect any buyer to do, really.

For larger used blocks, you can look out for damage to stamps, but on the plus side look out for interesting cancels. However, if high value stamps have been used on a parcel the cancels can unfortunately be a bit grubby. Remember that many large "used" blocks may in fact be cancelled-to-order and have never seem postal use. Your block of roos, for example, looks like CTO. The cancels are very neatly placed in the middle of each 4 stamps. Still worth collecting, however.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4629 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Large blocks and pieces were a more active stamp collecting interest in the early 20th century . Today there are very few people that take a interest in those type of items .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4006 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With the 'roos' it looks as though the mail handler got four impressions for each inking.

Top row was right to left, middle row was was left to right, and bottom row was right to left again.
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I've been on the lookout for a larger used block of NZ Cowan Esparto paper KGV definitives... Last item I need for my stamp papers exhibit, so there's still some need. :)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29386 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there anything that must be considered when purchasing larger stamp blocks?

Focus : Australian Stamps only.
Opinion:
Most large blocks, that are mute in the selvedge, I would not consider.
Used as yours, I would not entertain, (It may have the kangaroo flaws etc, but the overall look is poor)

1. Go by the best catalogue advice you have for blocks, Imprint blocks are collected, marginal markings, "traffic lights" etc.
2. blocks have a multi stamp design over the multiples, these can be valuable

Large blocks look good in an Album, providing they are mounted well and pristine.

Large blocks of mine, that have little $ value (but interest value)

This block however is valuable (see the green cross in the multiples)
End result, just collect what pleases you, be prudent in your purchases.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29386 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The type of thing to look for.
Block of stamps that offer more interest.
Perf Pips, diff perforation guage
Imprint in selvedge etc

Edited by rod222 - 04/08/2020 07:28 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29386 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imprint Block Resurrected (Free Gift from SCF member "Aussie Al" , if I recall)
Before

After
Edited by rod222 - 04/08/2020 07:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6503 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautifully done Rodney! You've done this sheet a great service. How did you ever get the tape off so successfully?
A perfect example for Easter week, resurrection wise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Large blocks and pieces were a more active stamp collecting interest in the early 20th century . Today there are very few people that take a interest in those type of items .

I even recall that "sheet files" were an accessory offered in the 1970s. Not sure they are even offered for sale any more.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4376 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazingly Brooklyn Gallery, IHobb, and Wizard Coin Supply still offer a plethora of mint sheet file products from several manufacturers including Safe, Lindner, Scott, G&K and Showgard.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29386 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A perfect example for Easter week, resurrection wise.

A cute segue James
Thank you for those nice words James

VERY tenderly soaked in cold water, in a large bowl.
When it separated from the backing sheet, Scotch tape still attached to the stamps, I fished it out with a clean kitchen "spatter guard" (keeps the sheet in 1 piece)

Placed it gingerly in the Rod222 drying sandwich book, with Scotch tape still hanging.
Left in book for 1 week, removed when dry and flat as a Mill pond,
Lifted the Scotch tape with "Bestine"
The end.

Edited by rod222 - 04/08/2020 2:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog- astonishing. I would never have guessed that.
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
236 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks rod always such wonderful information. I love that roo block... It just looks great to me. and yes bookndrbob it does look like the inking is alternate! again the devil is in the details or the symmetry which is what really catches my eye. If it was CTO then perhaps they(being skilled which I am not) would have ordered with gutter?

Rod, I am unsure what you mean by traffic lights? Is this the red and green lines? I'm now a '70's chick collector? and wow i'll take that! '70's music is by far superior!

Lovely thank you for all your answers. I have missed this forum.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29386 Posts
Posted 04/15/2020   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
L&F
"Traffic Lights"................(aka Marginal Markings)
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 593Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05