Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Right Inner Frame Line Going Up Too Far

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 305Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mdknight to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm in the process of plating a number of 3c Washington stamps from the 1851-1857 series. Per Chase and a variety of online sources, I have not found a reference to the right inner line going up too far except for 96R2e.

The photo is of a stamp which shows what I would call the right inner line running up too far, but it is relief A and 96R2e is relief B. Are there other plate positions with a similar right inner line?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1297 Posts
Posted 04/05/2020   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mdknight,

Since the upper right corner is the only one where the inner frame line would not intersect the rosette if it was cut too far, it's possible that Chase treated this corner differently, and didn't consider the line to be cut too far if it reached the upper right triangle.

Here are four other examples where the RIFL cuts into the upper right triangle:

100L2E

43L2L

64R3

93R3

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdknight to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos. It looks like it is more common than I thought. In some cases the right inner frame line connects with the upper right diamond block. It seems to me that would be a characteristic that one could use to help identify the plate position. I'm not sure why Chase didn't document that feature. I will make my own notes in my database if I see that for a particular position.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1297 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05