Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 Alaska Highway Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
111 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pwscg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for the following information regarding this stamp:

Paper type, Gum type, and Tagging type.

The United States and Canada both issued stamps for the 50th anniversary of the 1992 Alaska Highway, Canada on May 25, 1992 (Scott 1413), the U.S. on May 30 (Scott 2635), each having different designs. A joint first day cover was issued on May 30 having a single of each stamp and postmarked with the appropriate dates of issue.

As part of my writeups, I record details such as the paper type, gum type and tagging method (as applicable). For Canada, this information is readily available from Canada Post publications. For the United States, this information seems to be scarce. For this issue, USPS Postal Bulletin, Volume 113, Issue 21815, May 14, 1992, p.14 does not state any paper or gum type and merely say that the stamp is tagged. Scott does not provide this data either.

Thanks for your help!
Peter
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8040 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tagging info here http://stampsmarter.com/features/TaggingView.html

Gum type is Water Activated, some more info here http://www.stampsmarter.com/1847usa...okUpAll.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6772 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 2635 ?

Peter
Learn More...
8040 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Canada
111 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that's the one, Don.

I followed the link you gave but it didn't have the data I was looking for.
"Water-activated" for gum type isn't quite the same as, say, "PVA" or "Dextrine", etc.
Also paper type "tagged" isn't quite what I was looking for.

Am I trying to be too exact? Maybe I'm just too used to Canadian stamp data?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Peter
Edited by pwscg - 04/07/2020 09:34 am
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Peter,

Did you check out the tagging DB link Don sent? It provides additional information on tagging and paper types. It is Overall tagged and right now I have two paper types listed. I base the paper types on my interpretation of the paper types described by Chris McFetridge of Brixton-Chrome for Canadian stamps in his blogs. Also on email discussions with Chris and samples I acquired from him as references. There is much similarity between the paper types. The two paper types I have identified so far are a DF (Dull Fluorescent) and NF (Non-Fluorescent). I list the characteristics of the two papers under LW. As always color is subjective but the difference in papers is pretty clear once you see both under LW. Specific gum characteristics I can't speak to as it is not my area of specialty. Hopefully this fills some gaps in your info.
Valued Member
Canada
111 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwscg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mstocky2,

Thanks very much for your input!

For some reason (senility?) I followed only the second link and when I got there I did not click on the "tagging info" link. Sorry Don, I'm getting old.

Now that I have investigated both links, I see that:

1. the tagging is overall (and, by my observation, greenish under short-wave ultraviolet light)
2. there are two paper colours (light grey on DF paper and grey on NF paper). This is good info but still missing the paper manufacturer.
3. gum type = "S". What does that code stand for? Where on the website is there a list of codes and their meaning?

Oh yes, I made a correction on my second post: "Dextrose" was supposed to be "Dextrine" gum.

Peter
Edited by pwscg - 04/07/2020 1:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 30.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05