Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

#21 - Hanging Perf Vs. Blind Perf Removal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 470Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
69 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A beautiful #21 in the upcoming Siegel auction has an interesting history of previous sales. In 2007, the hammer price at a Siegel auction was $15,500. The next year it sold at a Spinks sale for $37,500. What struck me from images of the sales was the indisputable clean up of several perforations after the 2007 Siegel sale. My question is, how much of this is allowable without considering it an alteration? I guess the answer to that question is ultimately up to the buyer, but is it just a crap shoot to try and second guess what the PF or PSE will say? In this case, the PF certified it both before and after the perfs were cleaned up, and apparently didn't mention any alteration. I couldn't check either PF cert because the PF database is down right now. The 2011 PSE cert (#1237140) is clean, however.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5888 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who owns the stamp also writes the rules for the stamp. If it were mine I would have pulled them as well.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal opinion is that it is fine to do as was done in this case; i.e. remove the "hanging chad" perfs. The stamp itself was not altered. I do believe we should not try to cut new perf holes into blind perf areas, which is not the issue with this stamp, as that alters the stamp itself.
Valued Member
Learn More...
347 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there was an article in Linn's many years ago about this.

Something like 5 things to do to freshen up your collection on a rainy day?

One of them was to use a straight pin to clean up stamps by removing the hanging chad bits. It did not suggest to cut out blind perfs.

I have to admit I have done this very same thing many times. I have always been cautious and slow and have never had a problem tearing a perf or into the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1963 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$14,000 + 18% tip this time.
Learn More...
8030 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some folks 'clean up' their stamps, whether it is removing chads or using peroxide to chemically change the color. Our hobby, unlike other collectible hobbies (i.e. coins, antiques, etc.), seems to accept these practices.

In my opinion we are temporary caretakers of our material and we should be responsible for its conservation. While it is easy to say 'conserve, not restore' the rub is how each of us defines 'conservation' vs 'restoration'. If the marketplace rewards 'cleaning up' a stamp then the message is sent to everyone that this is what they should do.

I still have my Whitman Lincoln cent folders with all the shiny pennies that I cleaned in 1964 when I was a kid. While I thought they looked better I quickly learned that the coin marketplace did not share my opinion. For me, my pennies did not lose value because they taught me a valuable lesson.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5888 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't consider removing chads restoring or preserving. I don't even view it as cleaning. These should have been removed in the natural printing process.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05