Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning 3 Cent Small Queens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 459Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
345 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gportch to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a worthwhile project for anyone with several 'oxidized' 3 cent Small Queens.

The stamps shown below were originally a joined pair that had changed colour to the brown on the right.

After separating, the stamp on the left was placed in a sweat box with a spoonful of 3% hydrogen peroxide and left for about an hour. The stamp never got wet but it sure cleaned up nicely.

GJP
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/06/2020   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If done correctly, this "vapor" technique can be done with mint stamps as well, with extreme care. Sweat boxes are usually pretty shallow- it's worth considering using a something a bit taller for mint stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very clever. Were you inspired by today's news story about cleaning PPE masks with a device that creates a fog of hydrogen peroxide in an enclosed container?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure that the bleach has reversed the oxidisation rather than just provided another stage of colour changing? I realize 3% is not a strong bleach but it is another chemical exposure.
Learn More...
8047 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   03:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have had this discussion before and there are a number of websites including my which describe this process. http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ho...idation.html

I have stopped doing this procedure and enjoy the stamp with whatever patina a stamp might have when I become the temporary caretaker.

First, I have noticed that stamps which have sulphurated have a tendency to re-sulphurated and I found myself repeating the process on the same stamp over the years. This in turn lead me to ask myself the following questions;
1. How many times has this stamp been treated?
2. Should I be documenting the chemical changes that I make to a stamp?
3. If I sell the stamp in the future do I have an ethical obligation to disclose what I have done to it?
4. How many times can a stamp be treated before it makes permanent chemical changes or is detrimental to the stamp?
5. Is this process conserving stamps or restoring stamps?

Obviously folks can do what they desire with their own stamps but for me I have decided to not do this anymore.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29378 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have decided to not do this anymore.

I join you Don,
I do pencil in that the stamp has Sulphuretted (correct word?)
Pillar Of The Community
7010 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gportch

I have posted this technique that you use here...It is the best { non liquid } process to not infect the original stamp with actual liquids.

I usually let the patina of a stamp exist, but this is the best way if you want to bring back the original stamp colour.

Good example gportch

Robert
Valued Member
371 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Done quickly and with skill, the peroxide treatment of the 3c SQ is practically harmless.

If one wishes to try the vapour technique with mint stamps, I'd recommend using stronger peroxide but diluting 1:10 with alcohol so as not to hydrate the gum as much.

I try to appreciate the stamp for what it is, rather than what it once was, but one's always entitled to their personal choice.
Valued Member
Canada
130 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea, and perhaps if there is a potentially valuable cancel (or re-entry) hiding under the crud, this technique will show it. The stamp is altered, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
633 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cleaned stamp is closer to original condition. The oxidation is an alteration of the original color. Other alterations can result from wetting and pressing stamps as the pressing could flatten out the stamp and slightly change its dimensions and if present the perforation spacing. Other alterations could be tears, creases, and thins to name a few.
Learn More...
8047 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   08:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a distinct difference between conservation and restoration.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
7010 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the pressing could flatten out the stamp and slightly change its dimensions and if present the perforation spacing.

BIG TIME

I just analyzed 100 random Small Queen used stamps, and the perforation differences were amazing...See chart below...

Robert

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 459Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05