Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Csa Stamps Seeking ID And Feedback

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 290Next Topic  
Learn More...
8033 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   07:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A fellow member asked me to start this thread with his images on the following CSA stamps, he is seeking ID and feedback.

Don
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
214 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello,

# 1 - The first stamp is CSA #13. It is valued more in used condition than unused and all cancels should be checked very carefully. In comparing this cancel to those found in the CSA Fakes, Forgeries & Fantasies (2015 by Powell and Kimbrough) it seems to be a Type 3 cancel and may be what is documented as "Fake C"- the characteristic that I consider as suspect is the wide spacing between the "D" of Richmond and the "a" in Va. I may be wrong but that would be my assessment.

The following 3 stamps all appear to CSA 11 (based on the Broken Line found at the bottom of the portrait frame just above the "E" and "N". The #3 stamp may be a Keating and Ball print (based on the color and the solid background of the portrait vs the cross hatching pattern found in the other 2). Items #2 and #4 appear to be Archer & Daly printings. It is difficult to access the actual color on these two stamps. The more valuable item in terms of color for these stamps is green but true green is very distinctive and these seem more greenish blue. One would need to see them live and have comparable items to make an educated guess.

Hope this helps.
Hobsun

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the cancel is a fake, I wonder when it was created. The "Dec 7" date might have been a very deliberate addition, depending on when the cancel was created.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted Dr. Kimbrough who concurs with everything Hobsun said. This stamp was also seen by Bill Weiss a few years before his passing who also suspected the cancel to be a fake and advised it be sent to the Alliance.
Edited by funcitypapa - 04/07/2020 12:33 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 290Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05