Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1862 Ten Cents Davis Confederate Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 356Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add centralsmitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm having difficulty finding a lot of information on this 10 cent stamp, especially in this color. I'm guessing this is some sort of reprint or perhaps a forgery I just assumed that a forged copy would try and replicate a more common color as opposed to something unusual, but I'm really not sure.

Any help and/or insight on would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6503 Posts
Posted 04/07/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, and welcome to the forum
The short answer is, yes, that is a reprint from an unused plate, what is called an Altered Plate. Here's a version fo the story from another of my posts:
'Those are what are called Altered Plates. The original 5 stamp and a 1 picturing John C. Calhoun (#6,7 and 14, which was never issued) were designed and printed by De La Rue in London in 1862. By the next year it was necessary to raise the postal rate, so the Confederate Posties asked De La Rue to come up with a new set. As time was of the essence, it was decided to simply alter the plates (hence the name) from 1 to 2 and 5 to 10 respectively.
The plates were sent back to Richmond but were never used. Could be delivery was too slow (no Fedex). I have read a story where Mrs Davis disapproved of the portrait on these stamps because she though it made her husband look too much like that Lincoln guy. I've read of rumours during the war that Lincoln and Davis were actually related, simply because there was a slight physical resemblance.
So other stamps were designed (CSA#8 and #9) and the altered plates were filed away.'

So there it is.

The unused plates were rediscovered in the 1920s by August Dietz, considered to be the 'Father of Confederate Philately'. Dietz printed the new 2 stamp in emerald green. Here's my copy of the emerald green Calhoun from my collection.
Both plates were reprinted a number of times over the years after Mr Dietz's discovery. With varying degrees of quality.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jamesw - 04/07/2020 5:03 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centralsmitty to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so very much for your help and insight! Very much appreciated, and equally as interesting!

May I ask Do these have any value, or nothing more than a novelty item?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6503 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nope, no real cash value. The green Dietz prints might be a few bucks (can't remember what I paid for mine) but the others, nothing really, other than examples to include with your CSA collection.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the two stamps shown below from my local stamp shop for five cents each earlier this year. He has a bunch of large plastic tubs of stamps at a nickel each. They came in the glassine envelope, also shown below. The story as told on the glassine did not make sense, but I guess an embellished story sold more stamps, for more money, back in the day. Kind of shady, if you ask me.

For more info on these stamps, and the real story, see this link:

http://www.jlkstamps.com/qa/qa6.htm

Peace be with you,
Linus

Edited by Linus - 04/08/2020 7:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05