Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bavaria Imperf 7k ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 326Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Any help with id for this stamp, cant seem to find it although my catalogue is very old.

thanks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2596 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is from 1868.It should have a vertical red thread on the back.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
398 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jony78 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes red thread is on the back, I see it in the catalogue now, I will hazard a guess this is the ultramarine rather than prussian blue.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2596 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah; I guess no lotery today...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29341 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2596 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Bavaria Prussian blue stamp was a deliberate color choice,"dunkelultramarin" (preußischblau).
The French "Prussian Blue" was not intentional,simply a color variety,
thus the common difficulty in identifying the stamps color between the shades of Prussian blue.
The two "Prussian blues" are not the same,although in the catalogs they are so indicated.The German catalog listing has the word "dark ultramarine" & "Prussian blue".
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29341 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed P12,
I looked at about 20 "Prussian Blue" stamps in my collection,
all looked different.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4627 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The French stamp above comes in 4 or 5 shades of blues , it is easy to call one of those shades Prussian blue , the only true Prussian is if it has been certified .
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the four colors. It was originally scanned together with a photographic color chart so the colors are fairly accurate, at least in comparison with each other. The difference between "a" and "c" is too subtle for me to see a significant difference. But the catalog value of "c" is 50 times that of "a"!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29341 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I fail to see much difference between a and d.
b has the red thread
c has a pinkish or greyish hue
Edited by rod222 - 04/09/2020 6:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a page from my Finland that shows the difference between blue, PB, and ultra pretty easily. Down at the bottom... :)
Valued Member
Romania
159 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Michel ed.2011 catalog the name of colors is changed (in brackets is the old name of colors)
I tried to select from Michel Color Guide the shades corresponding to this stamp.
I wish you success, but please believe me, with the color catalog and the stamp in front of my eyes still fail to identify these shades…Mi#21a?
The only solution is certification by BPP experts.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 326Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05