Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Dept Of Agriculture O3 On Ebay

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 606Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/08/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Laurie 02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Laurie,
Looks like your O3 is one of the "Short Transfers" on upper left side. Possibly pos 28.

http://chronicle.uspcs.org/PDF/Chro...04/12584.pdf
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks littleriverphil, you are correct and that's an interesting PDF link!
No mention of this in my specialized so would you have any indication of value?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, no idea of the value, but can tell you that I've been watching this pen canceled O3 "Short Transfer" for more than a year, with no changes in the listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-O3-A....m1438.l2649
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, but I think I will let mine stay where it is as it has a bid and it wouldn't be fair on the bidder, I do have another used one with St Louis Town cancel and it's a short transfer too!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you post a scan of it?
I found George Sayers article quite interesting.
It seemed to me with all the erasure work on the left side, that the right side should also show traces, since this type of work is left to is "usually given to an apprentice or a low-salaried employee of an engraving firm" and the margins are narrow.
Below are copies of the three identified plate positions and an example of the apprentice's un-handywork.

Position 10

Position 18

Position 28 Really like this color, not sure if surlferized or if it's the ink smear. Lol, took me forever to realize that's a negative 1 cancel.

Got this cheap, but it's what I refer to as re- canceled. I call it position X.
Edited by littleriverphil - 04/09/2020 1:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they yours littleriverphil?
Lovely stamps!
I was at the Siegel site and powersearched O3, and I have undervalued a normal stamp by about AU$100 dollars!
I will end this auction and consider my next move, I might hold it back for swaps on a C1,2 or 3 cover.
Cheers and thanks for the heads up!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was at the Siegel site and powersearched O3, and I have undervalued a normal stamp by about AU$100 dollars!

Although your stamps did have a centering issue and a couple of pulled perfs.
Yep. they're mine. Agriculture Dept stamps really show cancels well, favored color of the Officials, that's why I wanted to see the used stamp. Town cancels are given an almost 23% premium in the Specialized catalogue.
Edited by littleriverphil - 04/09/2020 8:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phil
The Town cancel is on a 6 cent agriculture stamp. Sorry I got confused, would you still like to see it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do have another used one with St Louis Town cancel and it's a short transfer too!

Quote:
The Town cancel is on a 6 cent agriculture stamp. Sorry I got confused, would you still like to see it?

Especially if it is also a erasure like the O3s are. Could always use a good looking used O4. Scott shows an 11.66666% premium for the town cancel on O4's.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here tis!

I hope it's a Town cancel...
I also have an "OK" cancel on an interior official which I believe is quite scarce too
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/11/2020   03:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that a Town cancel?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/11/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott shows an 11.66666% premium for the town cancel on O4's.

I assume by "town cancel" the catalogue that is referring to a CDS.

Quote:
Isn't that a Town cancel?

Am unsure what type of cancel has a large B in the center? Different.
I sent you an email.
Edited by littleriverphil - 04/11/2020 08:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 04/11/2020   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi littleriverphil, did you get my email?
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2408 Posts
Posted 04/11/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
779 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi littleriverphil
I didn't hear from you so they back up on eBay
Cheers
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05