Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Could Someone Leave This Forum?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,126Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Want-to-collect to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have decided that I want to leave this forum.
How could that be done?
Thank you to all... Thanks so much!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't visit
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to see you go. As suggested, you can just not post or visit any more. Good luck with your future plans.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
520 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry you want to leave. It is a nice forum...hard for me to get on these days due to everything that is happening. Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a fee to leave since you got under 50 postings ,our policy here is "NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE "
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3465 Posts
Posted 04/09/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"You can check out any time you want. But you can never leave ..."
Pillar Of The Community
2158 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcomed!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4382 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1756 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the best forums on the web.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5906 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Care to expand on why?
Valued Member
Ireland
226 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have sympathy with the original post.Getting out of an online message board is not easy. The reason usually offered is that the continuity of threads can be compromised if "posts" seem to disappear. But as the original poster has seven posts published, that does not seem very reasonable.
We all experience "buyers regret" and it is always a good idea to watch a site for a long time before joining. Likewise it is reasonable that new members on any site can leave if they have made fewer than (say) ten posts.
There is I assume a disconnect between the nominal membership of a site and the active membership and it is always the case that a core group emerges.
I have some experience of trying to leave message boards.
For example I was not allowed to leave a leading site where the Big Chief and his cronies seem to thrive on being offensive. I partly resolved the problem by changing my password to something that I could not possibly remember...say mmxPr60ZZfb2....which meant I was still a member but could not post any comment even if I was tempted to do so. Insofar as I had commented on maybe 30 occasions, I of course regret that my words of wisdom are there until the world ends, I am consoled that it is maybe at least four years ago.
I did the same "trick" on a smaller site and now I cant even access it which is good. In fact I had completely forgotten about it.
On the other hand, I briefly joined another site in 2016/17 and asked the moderator to let me leave and they kindly did so.
Why would people want to leave?
Well...from my own point of view most sites in the English language are "American". In itself that should not be a problem to any reasonable person but it means that they often become a battle ground on ongoing American cultural and political wars. To many Europeans thats intriguing and to others its just boring and to others its amusing, But as the European centre of cultural and political gravity is somewhat different, it means that we cannot really say what we think".
Of course most message boards have an official "dont talk politics" rule but what they actually mean is "dont be divisive...dont say anything outside our group-think position.
So basically I am only a member of this message board because I cant leave it.
I live in hope that rather than leaving, I will be expelled.
But sadly that has not happened.
So I guess I will stick around and say what I think.
But I dont want to feel part of some wider fraternity..
A very good option for the original poster is to create and publish a Blog. It works for me.
Edited by FitzjamesHorse - 04/10/2020 09:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4382 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
2713 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The initial replies to Want-to-collect were not very welcoming and some not very polite. Why would they want to stay?

My own first post on this board several years ago got replies of "go read your catalog", even when I had stated very clearly that I had done so and understood what I was reading. I found a full explanation elsewhere beyond the catalog - and stayed around here anyway.
Learn More...
8055 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FitzjamesHorse,
Not being able to delete an account is due to forums being based upon a database. Forum databases are made up of many different tables which are related to each other. If you delete a record in one table which has a relationship to a record in another table it breaks the database. (This is called 'referential integrity'.) So for example, if you deleted your account name it would impact all the posts in every thread that you ever posted in since the database is using your account name in each post.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2000 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being involved in any message board these days requires a thick skin.

This one is well moderated and much better than most.

If you are truly interested in stamps, hang around. There are a lot of people here happy to help.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2602 Posts
Posted 04/10/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,126Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05