Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Double Your Pleasure... Quadruple Your Fun?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 505Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4812 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   11:24 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've always had a thing for revenue double impressions. However, outside of the 1st issue double impressions, many revenue DI, especially those of the 20th century, are somewhat "meh" in terms of dramatic appeal. Especially in the documentary and proprietary issues, some of the doubling is so minute that unless you're examining the stamp under high magnification you can't actually see the doubling; it just looks like a poorly inked stamp... in fact many dealers and eBay sellers offer inking anomalies as double impressions when they are not.

The secondary impression must be uniformly in one direction. For example, "doubling" which is ink spread in all 4 directions outward from the center is an inking anomaly not a double impression.

I've tried to stay away from the borderline examples. I want to see distinct separate impressions at a glance. I want the stamp to SCREAM double impression at me!

Here are some of my favorite non-1st issue revenue double impressions in my collection:

Here's a good comparative example of "meh" vs. dramatic, in my opinion. First is a block of 4 of R234, that while doubled, is minimal, so it just looks at first glance like a poorly inked stamp.

Now contrast that with this block of R229, where the doubling is much farther apart creating clear and distinct doubling of the design. This is the type of thing that I gravitate to.

Having the double impressions in blocks also makes for a great visual presentation.

So... fast forward to the most recent Kelleher auction. They had a reconstructed used block of 4 (2 horizontal pairs) of RB67, the 3-cent Proprietary stamp of 1919. This is yet another case where the catalog value ($70 per stamp) is NOT an indicator of true scarcity. It's only listed mint, not used and Kelleher posited that these could be the only used examples extant... not that it really matters, as I don't recall ever having seen an example of this DI mint or used. I've reached out to Eric Jackson and Richard Friedberg to find out whether they've had examples of this particular double impression. Richard responded that he doesn't recall ever having an example, mint or used. I'm still waiting to hear back from Eric.

Bidding was quite spirited and I had to pay well above Kelleher's estimate, but still a comparative bargain in my opinion based on scarcity. This definitely falls in the category of "pay what it takes as you don't know when you'll see another", or as Denny Peoples would say "Yeah, I dare you to find another one!".

It has that clear second impression that I want to see.

It could very well be the only multiple extant.

Any ideas on the company?

Send note to Staff
Edited by revenuecollector - 04/12/2020 12:37 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess if one smokes enough cigarettes and drinks enough wine, all stamps start to look like this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1438 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, when it gets through to me, it's always new to me
My double vision gets the best of me
Pillar Of The Community
United States
556 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, cigs n wine
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One out of two suits me fine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4812 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just heard back from Eric. He's never had an example of the RB67 double impression either.
Valued Member
Learn More...
354 Posts
Posted 04/12/2020   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never knew it existed until I saw your block!

Never even knew to look for it
Valued Member
Learn More...
354 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dan,

Just received this as a bonus in a trash lot I purchased for a different stamp. Had to take a second look as it had the fuzzy look that stood out from all the others. Decent offset of the blue.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4812 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   09:16 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! Might be the only Ohio sales tax stamp on the planet that's actually interesting (sorry, I see large bulk lots of these stamps all over the Interwebz).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that these all happened the same way, an incomplete wiping of the plate before the next sheet was printed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 505Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05