Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Varieties -Flyspecker Group

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 259 / Views: 9,696Next Topic
Page: of 18
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6788 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a tertiary plate flaw (TM) on the 25 pf value (Mi #50) of the 1949 Berlin "Buildings " series. Michel and the expertiizers rely on the work of Alfred Lippschuetz and others who have continued the study of this series.

Plate flaws of this series listed by Michel are only a small group of the "flaws", because most of the stamps have them. Lippschuetz's work shows all of the constant varieties, while the expertzers and Michel Deutschland-Spezial catalog list and value only what they judge to be the most important ones.

The plate flaws listed fall into three categories:

PM: "Primary features/flaws are deviations that already occur in the basic cliche. They are repeated ten times in the layout according to the structure of the plate." The primary flaw PM 2 of the 25 pf value occurs at fields 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60 and it is not listed as a PF by Michel.

SM: "Secondary characteristics/flaws are damage that occurs during or after mounting the panels, but before printing begins." There are no secondary flaws for the 25 pf value.

TM: "Tertiary plate flaws are damage to the printing plates that occur during printing." There are 25 different tertiary flaws on the 25 pf value. Michel lists three of them.

This particular PF is Mi 50 PFVIII "damage to the roof of the right tower." It occurs at field 4, with the house printing number (HAN) of the pane unknown. The flaw occurs on stamps with the primary feature/flaw PM 2 (leaf with missing line, shown on second pic).

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Romania
466 Posts
Posted 11/27/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you bookbndrbob for this presentation.
I have missed in the past some plate flaws of stamps in this series, because I was not sure how they looked like (unfortunately in Michel only a few are shown).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6788 Posts
Posted 11/28/2021   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, cupram.

Here is another one from the Berlin 'Buildings' series and it illustrates the challenges of collecting these particular plate flaws. This is Michel #49 PF XI, "Second 'C' in 'TECHNISCHE' strongly broken in the middle." It occurs on those stamps with the primary flaw of the incomplete window frame (PM 1), as shown in the second pic. This plate flaw is listed by Michel as #49 PF I., and on this particular stamp it is mostly obscured by the cancellation.

If it were just the #49 PF I, the cat. value is 6 euros, but the #49 PF Xi cat value is 75 euros. The reference work lists and values 163 different secondary and tertiary plate flaws for #49 (20 pf stamp), but Michel and the Bundespruefers recognize/list only 8 of them.

Valued Member
286 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Went to my archive and extract this cover with a Nr.50 PF I (PM6) in a mixed franking with Serie I and II (20 Pfg Nr.113). Horizontal arm on the statue. I have couple of this serie (I) but need new scan so will take long. I have copies of your 20 Pfg Nr.49 that we see clearly the PLF. The close up is the normal stamp.

Salutations

Hornet

Edited by hornet785 - 11/30/2021 4:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6788 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hornet. Nice cover! For #50 I have 6 of the 8 Michel-listed PFs...missing #s IX and X.

Here is modern one that must be fairly common. It is on the September 15, 1993 'Fuer uns Kinder' Souvenir sheet. Mi Block 27 PF I, "Red spot on the ring finger of the left hand".

Valued Member
286 Posts
Posted 11/30/2021   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Nope not that common because Partial but 5 types of PLF on this block all partial. Bl. 27 f A to f E.

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting one. Is it listed in Michel?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6788 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not listed, but at the end of the plate flaws section for this series Michel says, "there are an enormous number of plate flaws, including damaged letters, numbers or posthorns, flattened numbers, flakes or points on numbers and letters, shading errors as well as smudges."

Sorry, I don't have a study group book on these stamps. It is likely that one of these shows the variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one. The serif of 1 in the middle stamp loos longer and more slanted.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob

Thank you for looking it up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one. Curling top on 1.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one more. Broken O in Milion.

Valued Member
Romania
466 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp Mi#116 III issued on 9 October 1949 on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the UPU.
The stamp has plate flaw III- second figure from the right broken on the left building

Valued Member
286 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi cupram,

Congrats for this stamp. PF III in all aspects.

Hornet
Valued Member
Romania
466 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hornet,
Thanks for the congratulations.
I bought it at the normal stamp price.
I waited too long and missed out on a plate flaw V.
cupram
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 259 / Views: 9,696Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05