Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Varieties -Flyspecker Group

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 7,186Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 04/08/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another curious item. This one is a pinhole and circular embossing (8.5 mm in diameter) near the form number on the BRD 7 + 3 pf general welfare stamp ( Mi #270). The phone pic is included because the embossed area does not show up on the scan.

This does not appear to have been done "post manufacture", i.e. by a philatelist, but as a part of the processing of the stamp sheet. I'm guessing this marking was created by a clamping mechanism that held the sheets in place during trimming or perforation. Does anyone know for certain whether or not this is the case?

And, here is another plate flaw. This one is a break in the ornament above the "er" of "Heidelberger" on the 1963 BRD Heidelberg catechism stamp (Mi 396 PF I). It occurs on field 32 for portion of the print run.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one is from the Windmills semi-postal set of 1997. It is Michel #1950 PF I, "brown spot under the 'N' in 'DEUTSCHLAND', field 2, part of the print run."

Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Mi # 99 (type II) issued in 1948 (Anglo-American occupation of Germany)
Plateflaw VI-white line between C and H.
I don't understand why MNH has no value in the catalog and field number

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In reply to cuprams post.

The reason for no catalogue value is most often lack of data.

Catalogues and their catalogue values are based on data of the past and present. This means that if there were no or little sales of this stamp mnh in auction or by stampdealers, a catalogue value will not be mentioned untill sufficient data is available.

Not mentioning the field number can have several reasons. But basicly they do not know or do not know for sure.

This series is on of those series were plate flaws appear and disappear. A certain flaw can be on only a little number of sheets printed and when none of these sheet are available, it is not possible to give the field number.

I give a few reasons, others may have additions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good explanation Johan.

Here is one on the October 7, 1949 von Stephan issue. It is Mi #116 pf I., "oblique streak on the '0' 0f the value '30' (field 17 for the entire printing, fields 41 and 46 for part of the printing)".

Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Johan for your explanation.
At first I was surprised that the field is not mentioned, taking into account the rigor and meticulousness characteristic of Michel's catalog.
This series is new to me and is very complicated to identify.
The series was printed by 2 companies: Westermann and Bagel who used different methods of mounting the printing plates.
I still haven't been able to translate and understand the explanations from Michel's catalog (in German) and I hope that someone will have the English version, the language that is more accessible to me.
George

Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

@ cupram,
Here is the study group. Have some fun and navigate the site for information. Specialy the plating. The basic stamp 3 DM Type II MNH is a high value. The SM 3 (Secondary Characteristics) is only on type II Westermann.

https://www.bautenserie48.de/

@ bookbndrbob,
Very nice the Von Stefan! Here one example with the circle around the punch hole. Normaly very faint and sometimes very noticeable.

Hornet
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hornet!

Here is another one from the 1950's. This one is listed in the Thomas Schantl Verlag Plattenfehler-Katalog BRD/Berlin fifth edition. It is the 1956 Maria Laach stamp, Michel #238 "L" of "LAACH" broken, field 35, part of the printing.

Valued Member
Romania
423 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi hornet785,
Thanks for the study group site.
Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

@ cupram,

Once on the site, go on the left column clic on "Bautenserie", "Plattieren", "DM Werte", go down the page clic on "weiter", scroll down to see the SM (secondary Characteristics) you will see the position of the SM 3.

Here two pictures: One is my Nr.46 PF I and the second one,the specialized book (one example more exist this one is old). Notice the difference between Michel and some books. Michel PF I is PF 227. Some other will have the grill number and a reference as Michel PF I.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hornet, that appears to be from the Collegium Philatelicum reference work on the Crown and Eagle series (1962-8). That is a great piece of work.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 1997 plate flaw is the result of the correction of a plate flaw on the the 300 pf Idar-Oberstein stamp. The original plate flaw is Michel #1911 PF III, a blue streak in the halftone shading of one of the gem's facets. This plate flaw (not shown here), and the one shown below, occur at field 7, during a portion of the printing. .

The plate flaw shown here is Michel #1911 PF IV. It is a retouch done by removing the streak. In doing this, a portion of the halftone in that area (indicated by the red circles) has also been removed.

Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi bookbndrbob,

In Schantl, the PF IV has a remaining of the blue line and yours doesn't have it. I saw some advertised like yours as PF IV on eBay. So I did ask why and yes, the PLF exist with different characteristics. Michel has the note in brackets but Schantl do not mention it.

Thank you showing this one.

Below the Schantl example (Picture from eBay)

Hornet

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks hornet! The close-up scan on my last one does not show the blue on the little piece of blue line that is there, but I can see it through my 10x loupe.

Here is another one from 1997; the Diesel commemorative (Mi #1942). Schantl lists it as "black spot on gear, field 1, part of printing".

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6180 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another plate flaw from the 1880 "PFENNIG" series. This one is Michel #44 PF V a, "broken tip at middle of upper ornament (position 91 sheet L). The "a" refers to the color, "(medium) grey-green (olive-grey) (1880-1887)".

Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 7,186Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05