Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Philatelic Exhibiting

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,463Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2993 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I attended shows, I never spent a lot of time looking at exhibits. Given the time and all the standing, it never was a high priority activity.

Now, in my quest for something to read online, I spent some time last week looking at some award winning exhibits at the AAPE web site http://www.aape.org to see some of the best.

Again, I am not familiar with many of the subjects and still see that unless you really know the material one cannot really appreciate. The supporting write ups are often no more than captions describing the various artifacts. It seems clear the purpose is to show completeness (a criteria in judging) rather than a full story given the space constraints. That is, except to some, many cannot appreciate what they are seeing.

If someone took the same exhibit and created an article with same items as illustrations (even if they owned them), they would not get the same recognition even though the article would provide a better story in my opinion.
Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are awards for writing and different awards for exhibiting.
Some people write books and articles, some people exhibit, and some do both. I think the vast majority of collectors do neither.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5510 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you seen Richard's site, Al? Quite a remarkable range of reading, exhibits etc

https://www.rfrajola.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
657 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   08:31 am  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking as an accredited judge, "story" is extremely important in exhibiting (we call it treatment). It is different than what you'd see in an article, because we do value economy of language, but in a good exhibit you'll see a full philatelic "story" with an introduction, a narrative storyline and and a conclusion.

As an exhibitor, it's rare for me to put together an exhibit page that does not have at least one sentence of "narrative" text to keep a story moving.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1473 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an exhibitor but I always look at them at shows and often attend the judges' critique. If there is no real story or if it is not clear and concise (N.B.), the judges will not hesitate to penalize the exhibit. The scope of the story should be laid out clearly on page 1.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1890 Posts
Posted 04/17/2020   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One has to wonder when exhibiting will resurrect itself.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1558 Posts
Posted 04/18/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The scholarship in most exhibits is something that I always appreciate. Having said that, the subject matter usually isn't very exciting. When I attend a show, I go through the program and can find a few exhibits of interest. Almost always, they are either in one of several philatelic areas that I specialize in; or otherwise fall into my "worth a look" category. I have visited Richard's site, Geoff, and have bookmarked it on my list of various sites.

Dudley: I like your thought about listening to the critiques by the judges. Have not thought to do that in the past.

One exhibit in the last 10 years really caught my eye; the grand award winning exhibit on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, by Dr. Ed Andrews. I liked it so much that I bought the book, when Exhibitors Press was a going thing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2372 Posts
Posted 04/18/2020   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I want to start learning a new (stamp) subject, I always try to find whatever literature is available, in all forms. This includes finding as many key exhibits as I can, which cover the topic.

Usually there is a narrative that advances my understanding with the exhibit. Even if the narrative is lacking, I am able to familiarize myself with what material is out there.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
Posted 04/18/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've wanted to exhibit for a long time and have been planning and building an exhibit for a few years now, accumulating an extensive number of items and adding to the treatment/narrative. Personally, I don't feel that I should put it out there at a show until I've exhausted all avenues in procuring all of the items to properly tell the story.

I found an exhibit at the Rocky Mountain Stamp Show in 2018 on the 1898 Trans-Mississippi issue essays & proofs to be very informative and filled with exceptional material (shown below).

Scott

Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1558 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott: if you wait until your planned exhibit is perfect, you may wait for a while. :-) :-) .

Have you thought about doing a trial run in the non-competitive category? While Rocky Mountain Stamp Show for this year is cancelled, there is the smaller Cherpex show in September at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Cherpex usually has a few exhibits and I think they're all considered non-competitive. But, probably too early to know if the show will happen.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5510 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. "Le mieux est le mortel ennemi du bien". How much more I'd have got done had I not chased the perfect ...
Pillar Of The Community
3520 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Walkman, Very few exhibits are truly ever "complete". Share with others (like this board) what you are seeking and exhibit it also. Don't be concerned about awards. You will be surprised what comes out of the woodwork with a little exposure. There are more avenues to explore than you can think of.
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 04/20/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am always interested in publishing exhibits on Stamp Smarter.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
755 Posts
Posted 04/21/2020   12:37 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Its of somewhat narrow interest, but you're welcome to my 10-framer on the 'Marcophily of Hudson, New York, 1793 - 1919.' Its received several golds at the WSP level, FWIW. Let me know.
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 04/21/2020   03:33 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi docgfd,
Would love to publish it, you can email it to me in any format and I'll get it done.
Don
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
Posted 04/21/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

The quest for perfection all to often discourages collectors from showing their treasures. There is no such thing as perfect according to one of my old grade school teachers. There are many great exhibits out there that accomplished the goal of its creator after many hours and years of effort; however, they failed to achieve perfection as determined by the judge's score sheets when perfection is not or should not be the prime objective. Live long and prosper.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,463Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05