Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Political Correctness Influence Your Mailing?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 105 / Views: 4,470Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2497 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modern_who to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've got loads of old U.S. postage around that I use when mailing stamps to other collectors.een

For example, today I was mailing to a collector in Georgia, and decided not to use a block of the 3-cent Lincoln bust I had been using on some of my mail, recently.

So, when mailing stamps to collectors, do you...

Avoid using Bicentennial Era stamps or other stamps related to the American Revolution on mail to Britain?

Avoid using WWII stamps on mail to Germany or Japan?

Avoid using Christmas stamps on mail to Jewish collectors?

Avoid using LOVE stamps on mail to anyone lest they get the wrong idea?

Just wondering.

And maybe it's just being polite.
Send note to Staff
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Edited by modern_who - 04/25/2020 10:22 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2021 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is overthinking. I just use whatever postage I have available and assume the recipient is more interested in what's in the package than on it. Interesting topic, however.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did use the "Gone With The Wind" stamp on my tax return one year. Otherwise, no.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done several mailings for local candidates running for office. I like covering the envelopes with fun old stamps. But I'm very careful as to which ones I choose. The Robert E Lee commemorative did not get used to this, I use those on bills.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, not ever.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
317 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too sensitive by far. I would smile slightly and enjoy thinking up a suitably rude riposte if I got something about the American war of independence. Perhaps I'd send a stamp with a fire engine back and comment that the White house needed one of these once. People are to easily offended these days.
I used to quite enjoy going in to work and being greeted with why the **** have you turned up, you never do any work?; and a different insult every day. So much more interesting than "hi how are you? nice to see you".
I have sometimes chosen which of the, "forever" GB cartoon stamp of february1996, I use on letters to try and use an appropriate one, but most people don't notice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
676 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   1:38 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only stamp I don't use on my outgoing mail is the "you can beat alcoholism" stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6772 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely avoid using stamps that would be inappropriate and could reasonably cause offense. I used Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe stamps on correspondence with an older Japanese pen-pal (which he appreciated), but using stamps commemorating World War II in that context would be pretty crass, I think. Since I don't normally have a stock of stamps that I wouldn't use, however, it's usually a non-issue for me.

I do save better stamps for use on mail to special people or for special occasions. I have Greta Garbo, Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Darth Vader, and the Muppets' Swedish Chef in my postage drawer, waiting for someone who's worthy.
Edited by erilaz - 04/25/2020 3:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   4:04 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't use the Porky Pig stamps to Israel or Saudi Arabia, but otherwise no other restrictions. I've used stamps with the American Revolution topic to the UK and WWII related stamps from the 1940's to Germany and Japan. No one seems to care.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7555 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are certainly stamps I would never buy, even as discount postage because they honor people or places I have no respect for. But any stamp I would be willing to use, I would use on anything I might mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a stamp.

So it wouldn't bother you to get mail with something like this on it?

I'm not talking about stamps from North Korea necessarily. I'm just saying that there are stamps out there that each of us would find offensive, for one reason or another.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7555 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Getting those legitimately used to the US would probably be relatively scarce covers. I wouldn't mind getting them because I can understand the context. They wouldn't bother me any more then buying a censored cover with Hitler Heads would bother me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has influenced which stamps I use on occasion. With so many people deciding where to buy and whom to buy from based on politics these days (speaking of the USA here, only), I'm mostly concerned with someone deciding they don't want to buy from me again because they might think I'm of the wrong political persuasion. This is a phenomenon that crosses political lines and happens regularly with other types of businesses. I sometimes will avoid using stamps with a politically conservative topic to more liberal parts of the country or using stamps with a politically liberal topic to more conservative parts of the country. I don't always do this and I only do it if I have easy alternatives, but I've done it on occasion.

As for the alcoholism stamp, that's one I'll use without hesitation on any mailing, if I have them. I'm a recovering alcoholic with about 8 years sobriety myself. Some might take offense at that stamp, for others it might be a message they need to (and are ready to) hear. The only one I take truly pause at using is the Retarded Children Can Be Helped stamp (you never know who might have a special needs child at home), but I'll still use them, they don't go in the trash.

Learn More...
9750 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use any stamps I have on hand. I think that virtual signaling like wearing a t-shirt, displaying a bumper sticker, or using stamps is easy and can be done by anyone regardless of their true character. I think a person's true character is revealed in the decisions they make during times of stress.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6772 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We are doomed if somebody will not buy from you because, based upon a postage stamp, they assume you are of a political party that they are not. Does anyone realize how utterly pathetic that is? What is happening? Yikes
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 105 / Views: 4,470Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05