Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Political Correctness Influence Your Mailing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,219Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5926 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
99.9% of the time, I don't give it a second thought.

I have to confess though, that I haven't used the "discount postage" alcoholism you can beat it stamps I bought many years ago. I just don't know who might receive these and how the families have been affected. Maybe some day I'll use them up.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I once mailed a fox stamp to a chicken farm. I am a terrible human.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I often do the opposite. If I'm sending something to a chicken farm, I'll put chicken stamps all over the letter. If I'm sending to friends who live in Nebraska, I'll put Nebraska stamps on the letter. I got plenty of those three sent ones that I can find almost any topic imaginable.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
880 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only US stamp I would definitely not send to someone would be the "Retarded Children Can Be Helped" stamp from 1974. Don't think I need to explain why. My teenage daughter was helping me sort through some mixed US recently, and nearly spit up when she saw one of those.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ursa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being a Canadian First Nations person residing in the USA, I try to avoid using stamps portraying patriotic American themes, especially when corresponding with friends and family residing in Canada.

The Tribal nations to which I belong exist in both the USA and Canada. Tribal identity, for many of us, trumps being American or Canadian.
Pillar Of The Community
1000 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course I look at the stamp before I put it on the envelope. If the subject matter seems offensive -- say the WWII Pearl Harbor stamps on an envelope to Japan -- I would simply use another stamp. How hard is that to do? It's the same way I talk. I don't use language that might insult someone. On the other hand, I wouldn't avoid using an Eid stamp on a mailing to a Jewish friend. People who say they just don't care mean they don't care if they're seen as rude. Fine, that's your choice, but I do care. It's the same with everything. I dress appropriately for the situation (no shorts or tee shirts in church). I don't use racial language. I don't use obscenities (much). You tailor your language to the people you're talking to. It's a basic rule of communication and mailing is a form of communication.
Edited by DrewM - 04/27/2020 3:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rudeness has nothing to do with it. Unless it's to a collector, I seriously doubt if anyone even notices what the stamp is. And if they do notice, and they are offended by the postage used to get the mail delivered, then that is on them, no one else. I would suspect that there are other issues at work in that case. They really can't expect to have control over that too.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. In my opinion, there are plenty ethically corrupt people who are well dressed, well spoken, and are perfectly politically correct. Superficial appearances and cheap platitudes are not a true measure of a person.

What I find interesting is the evolution of what is consider acceptable. Some terms are considered derogatory right from the start while others become unacceptable over time. The 'cut over' is not black and white, there is a gray area of time when some folks consider it acceptable and others do not.

We have had several recent complaints about the use of the terms 'China virus' or 'Wuhan virus'; a few folks even threatened to quit the forum unless we removed the posts and/or admonished the posters. The justification was that these were 'political terms' and therefore against the forum rules. Obviously these folks feel very strongly that this is unacceptable; they left no doubt as to their thinking that using a location to identify a disease is now considered 'political'.

So I went back and searched for the terms 'MERS', 'Ebola', 'Spanish Flu', 'Lyme disease', 'Rocky Mountain Spotted fever' and found that these location based names show up in countless previous posts and threads in this community. But we had absolutely no complaints and certainly did not have anyone threatening to quit over them.

So we are in a transitionary period where the use of location to ID diseases is becoming unacceptable. Will referring to stamps by location also evolve to being considered political and unacceptable or does this just apply to naming diseases?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Land O Lake just removed the Indian lady from their butter packaging.

https://www.fooddive.com/news/land-...abel/576308/

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1232 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never avoid the use of a stamp in order to be politically correct. I do, however, occasionally try to use a stamp that may be relevant to the item being mailed e.g., LOVE stamps on valentines, Christmas stamps on Christmas cards, and the like.
My personal view of PC is that, for the most part, it resides in the eye of the beholder. Too many people take umbrage or offense over insignificant events or observations. On most such occasions, no slight or criticism is intended by the instigator of the event. Everyday life is often stressful enough without one's searching out extraneous reasons to be angered or annoyed. Witness our current world situation.
As for the Spanish flu, the name is a misnomer. Spain was one of the few nations that did not attempt to hide the true extent of the disease from its citizens or from the world at large. As a result, most assumed the epidemic in Spain was worse than other places hence, the reasoning went, it must have started there. Not so.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sick to death over the PC culture It is paralyzing.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
77 Posts
Posted 04/27/2020   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The image has always been part of the message. Remember the Champions of Liberty issues by the US in the 50's? I believe they covered the international rate as well as domestic. Those probably grated on some people.
I suppose one could look at it as 'paralyzing' sort of. Then again, if I am taking the time to send a letter with stamps on it, I would probably try to avoid an insult on the cover if I could, just as a person-to-person thing. Political correctness might be a target for criticism as an overall concept, but on a personal level, it is courtesy.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
456 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am sick to death over the PC culture It is paralyzing.

I tend to agree although it is a bit like health and safety In the right place it is a necessity. But it is very easy to over do it and then it becomes a source of amusement.

What is political correct at the moment may well not be in 100 plus years.

AQ
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1145 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   05:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the other hand, I wouldn't avoid using an Eid stamp on a mailing to a Jewish friend.

My sister has used Eid stamps when mailing Christmas cards as a deliberate statement.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, non collectors don't notice stamps, any more then non collectors notice barbed wire. Or coins in one's pocket. So the message is only for the sender, and is not likely to be noticed by the receiver.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,219Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05