Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Political Correctness Influence Your Mailing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,218Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Non collectors most definitely notice the stamps on my envelopes. I get comments from all kinds of people I send letters to.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Probably because they know you are a collector and have been checking for a long time. If you sent mail to people who don't know you it would very probably be different.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even collectors frequently don't see things; I have purchased dozens of double transfers on eBay because the average collector does not see them.
Valued Member
Ireland
254 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would never deliberately offend anyone by using a stamp that is inappropriate to their values.
Some might take offence at entirely reasonable (now mainstream) values or historic figures.
If people take offence at reasonable (now mainstream) values or historic figures, then I would not be exchanging mail with them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We have had several recent complaints about the use of the terms 'China virus' or 'Wuhan virus'; a few folks even threatened to quit the forum unless we removed the posts and/or admonished the posters. The justification was that these were 'political terms' and therefore against the forum rules. Obviously these folks feel very strongly that this is unacceptable; they left no doubt as to their thinking that using a location to identify a disease is now considered 'political'.

While I certainly wouldn't go to the extent of threatening to quit the forum over its use (I'm not the speech police), they're right that in this case the use of Chinese/Wuhan is political. There's an easy test for this: ask who is using the label, healthcare pros or politicians? In this case, the ratio is healthcare pros 0%, politicians and those connected with them 100%. That's basically the test here, not whether a location is used in the description.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   4:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...There's an easy test for this: ask who is using the label...

Hi Artful,
In this case, the Chinese Communist Party used these terms throughout December and into the first part of January. China has played two games very well in the last decade; the financial game and the public relations/media game.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - I'm not saying people can't call it whatever they want, wherever they want. Knock yourself out as far as I care. Regardless, due to who uses those terms in the public sphere in the US, they have political connotations here. Not saying it's right, wrong, or in between, just saying that's the way it is; what the Chinese called it themselves is largely irrelevant to that fact. I've never been a fan of China's leadership or our country's dependence on them in so many ways, so I don't need any convincing that they do a lot of shady things.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   8:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Understood.
I mentioned it because I ended investing time in mediating angry people who threat to leave the community over this kind of stuff. This level of intensity is new in my experience here and I do not fully understand the buy in.

In my opinion the Chinese government were the ones who planted and drove the 'it is xenophobic to call it anything related to China', a slick PR move on their part. I do not think China intentionally let this virus loose on the world, but I think that once they realized they had a real problem it was greatly in their benefit to allow it to spread worldwide so the economic impact playing field was leveled. To understand just how far China is willing to spin this consider what China's ambassador to Australia warned just today; if Australia keeps pushing for an independent international inquiry into the origins of the pandemic China would boycott Australian products. China is playing public relations and propaganda hard ball, getting folks to think that using China reference for this virus is part of that effort in my opinion.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a damning report looking at evening news broadcasts from Jan. 17 (when the first coronavirus story broke) through March 13 (when the president declared a national state of emergency), the Media Research Center found that out of 634 minutes of coronavirus coverage, just 3 minutes and 14 seconds were in any way critical of the Chinese government's actions.

In 20% of the stories, reporters cited Chinese statistics, but failed to challenge them most of the time (97%).

Over the past decade, Beijing has invested heavily in extending its propaganda reach across the globe, which now is paying off.
Major newspapers such as The Washington Post and the Financial Times carry paid "country advertising" supplements, paid for by China and other countries practicing public relations. These supplements are nice moneymakers for the news organizations and almost indistinguishable from regular news pages.

In some cases, the arrangement goes even further. According to an investigation by the Daily Caller, the Daily Mail newspaper in London has had a content-sharing relationship since 2015 with China's People's Daily, the official organ of the Chinese Communist Party.
The Daily Mail thus can be found to echo the Communist Party line on the COVID-19, which originated in China.
Last week, the Mail ran a story about a second outbreak in China, saying: "Beijing's leading doctor warns of a NEW [MK1] coronavirus outbreak in China after the country reported its first case of someone 'catching the illness from a person returning from abroad.'"
This story got 1.1 million shares on social media. Countries singled out by it are the United States, Italy, and the United Kingdom.
The storyline is that the United States, not China, is responsible for the coronavirus emerged in March as a propaganda tactic by Beijing. On March 13, People's Daily published a story based on statements by Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian alleging that a visit by U.S. military athletes to Wuhan in October spread the coronavirus in China.
"It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan," Zhao said on Twitter.
"U.S. is the creator of human right [sic] disasters" reads a March 23 article on the People's Daily website.
This line attempts to deflect blame while undermining China's primary international competitor, the United States.

China's information war goes hand in hand with a bid for greater global influence. Although this is unconscionable, it's not hard to grasp the motivation of the leadership in Beijing.

What is much harder to comprehend is the readiness of the mainstream media to give Beijing a pass
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 04/28/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MRC has it's own political reasons for issuing a report like that. I wonder which news organizations they checked, since 634 minutes is only an average of about 10 minutes per day. So they could not have been checking very many.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media...earch_Center
Pillar Of The Community
United States
764 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   12:01 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember the Champions of Liberty issues by the US in the 50's? I believe they covered the international rate as well as domestic. Those probably grated on some people.

If memory serves, covers bearing some of these were routinely returned by, for example, behind the iron curtain countries, as 'postage not recognized.'

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rev - They were checking the nightly newscast not the 24/7 breathless coverage of the usual suspects.

Everybody is towing the party line. Why is that?
Valued Member
332 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started a similar thread a while back that received some good replies:

http://goscf.com/t/71832
Valued Member
Ireland
254 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes these issues are academic. Sometimes there are real.
At some point in the summer (hopefully!!) I will be sending "Pride" stamps on appropriate postcards. No big deal.
But someone has asked me to send one to a church in Kansas, USA. But I wont be doing that. It would not be appropriate. They do of course deserve to be insulted (no problem with that) but I just dont send mail to people I dont like.
I dont mind being insulted because "politically correct" is somehow regarded as an insult.
And now I am regarded as "virtue signalling".
And now I am apparently "woke".
I am all of those and more.
I dont gratuitously insult people by sending them stamps they would find offensive. That would be childish and without dignity.
Nor would I think twice about sending a stamps because someone who deserves to be insulted wouldnt like it. That would also lack dignity.
Simply not engaging with people I dont or wouldnt like is the answer.
And I am more than happy that people who dont like me would not engage with me.
Seems reasonable
Everyones a winner.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   08:39 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Political correctness" is better understood as a synonym for empathy or sensitivity. Plainly the need for sensitivity can be badly misinterpreted, as in cases of child abuse in Lancashire, but, as a rule, it's desirable. Those who claim to be "paralysed" by political correctness might consider for a few minutes how the recipients of political incorrectness feel. Forced to sit at the back of the bus, spat upon when enrolling in a school, beaten or worse for daring to wish to vote, denied access to housing in parts of towns or cities ...
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,218Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05