Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Political Correctness Influence Your Mailing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,223Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Ireland
254 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
I think the worst aspect of collecting stamps is that there is a small but vocal minority who still thinks it is 1955. And there is a passive acceptance of this as "group think".
No doubt there are many people who like the old days when we had good manners and diptheria.
But such attitudes have turned off maybe a couple of generations of potential stamp collectors.
There are really two attitudes to people shaking their fist and impotently cursing 2020. One response is to just passively accept the attempted group think. The other is to show it up every chance we get.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:14 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is making sweeping generalizations about others, clearly neither 'side' has learned that lesson.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As with alcohol consumption it can be taken too far. Lots of hypocrisy as well. If it makes somebody feel more righteous however to flaunt their wokeness then have at it. It is easier to paint the "other side" as being unfeeling, uncaring and cruel because they do not feel that the image of the Land O Lakes Indian Princess on a butter package is symbolic of human trafficking and sexual slavery and as such Land O Lakes should be punished.

I hate the PC culture and fail to see how most of it is even remotely related to being "Forced to sit at the back of the bus, spat upon when enrolling in a school, beaten or worse for daring to wish to vote, denied access to housing in parts of towns or cities ".

To each their own however. Signal at will.

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7478 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I hate the PC culture and fail to see how most of it is even remotely related to being "Forced to sit at the back of the bus, spat upon when enrolling in a school, beaten or worse for daring to wish to vote, denied access to housing in parts of towns or cities ".

Why am I not surprised........
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
because they do not feel that the image of the Land O Lakes Indian Princess on a butter package is symbolic of human trafficking and sexual slavery and as such Land O Lakes should be punished.

It's not punishment to take other people's feelings into account.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   09:35 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it should be used as a teaching moment. Our hobby is about history, if there are stamps that I consider are no longer appropriate should I hide them from my children? Or is it better to show them and explain to them why they exist?

If folks are offended by the butter packaging there should be a choice to not buy/support it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
648 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes we can have a teaching moment.

Sometimes we have to take others feelings into account.

And society's values change over time.

Many people on this forum seem to be bothered by the removal of the image of an indian on the Land-o-lakes butter. Might I suggest that you might feel differently if the image was of you? Especially, given the common practice of kids to cut out her knees and put them in place of the butter she is holding?

And that was not the only change, the label now proudly states "Farmer-Owned". So the change was removing a symbol that had nothing to do with the product, and added language that told us something about the product.
Valued Member
Ireland
254 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not come across "Land o Lakes" but it seems rather obvious that the people most entitled to be offended would be first Nation North Americans. I suppose its like the Robertsons Jam symbol (highly collectable) which is no longer deemed acceptable. On one side is the "political correctness gone maaaad" lobby and on the other side the people stereotyped by the symbol.
But its not necessarily some left wing cause celebre. I was appalled to read how poor white southern folks were depicted in mainstream USA in the 1920s, 1930s etc.
Whether the Hillbilly image popularised in Lil Abner and Daisy Mae Yokum is harmless fun or ignorant stereotyping, I am not qualified to say but American friends tell me that it is not all that it seems.
But theres enough other evidence to suggest that Hollywood has marginalised and possibly the "mainstream media" has marginalised and ridiculed a culture. Whether or not aspects of the culture deserve to me marginalised and ridiculed is of course a different question.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Businesses change logos all the time for all sorts of reasons, changing one for cultural reasons should be neither surprising nor troubling. We wouldn't question it if they changed a logo from someone or something else that was offensive to various other groups, such as a logo featuring someone in KKK robes, a hammer and sickle, a swastika, or Louis Farrakhan. Businesses are all about protecting their bottom line, and if something can potentially cost them sales, they'll jettison it in a heartbeat, even if it's a logo they've used for decades.

I'll be the first to agree that PC culture can sometimes go too far, but let's not forget that it did originate as a reaction to the long, ugly history of discrimination and persecution faced by a lot of groups. While the methods can sometimes be questionable, I don't really question the motives.
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the history is important. Europeans came to North America and displaced the existing populations of people. One thing that history has taught me is that when a country or group of people thinks themselves morally superior bad things happen. It was easy to displace the native populations when they were thought of as inferior and 'godless savages'.

When one group considers another group of people morally inferior it is much easier to treat them as 'evil'. Violence, warfare, and other horrific atrocities have occurred when one group considers another as morally inferior. I have no issues with being 'woke' but I have concerns when being 'woke' includes being accompanied by a morally superior justification.

I think freedom of choice is important in life. In many ways freedom of choice is what makes us human; humans have the ability and capacity of making higher decisions. And in my opinion even if we could wave a wand and remove anything offensive in our world, we would still have morally corrupt people and awful behavior.

So I view an offensive stamp as a choice, if I disagree with the stamp design I do not buy it but I also do not feel the need to remove the freedom of choice from other folks. If the stamp shows up on my kitchen table because someone else sent it to me, than I view it as an opportunity to education my family on how I feel about it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
540 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, we definitely need to do something about those "vocal minorities" who obviously all think alike and dare to disagree with "us" or have a different perspective on life than "we" do. How dare they be different from we anointed ones? Now where did I put my pitchfork and flaming torch?

Just making the obvious point (still unlearned by some) that folks should be careful before lumping people into a stereotypical grouping with no knowledge of who they are as individuals, what their perspectives are, and why they think or act the way they do. That goes for folks who consider themselves as "woke" as well as anyone else who feels the need to start judging other folks.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 04/29/2020 1:59 pm
Valued Member
Ireland
254 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think "Oracle of Delphi" is being much too hard on "vocal minorities" who differ from those of us who accept mainstream thinking in the 21st century.
He suggests dealing with them by taking the single approach of "doing" something.
I take the approach that we can "do something" or "do nothing".
I am very broad minded.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My problem is with all of the yipping and yapping over targets such as words and symbols and being called nasty names for not agreeing with it all. Too easy to type on Twitter or a forum and signal that you are morally superior because you know better than to send a certain stamp to a certain person. The really hard issues attract far less attention and effort because, well, they are hard.

Let's take the Land O Lake butter Indian Maiden/Princess issue. Getting the symbol removed took a long time and lots of petition signatures (easy to sign and feel better about yourself)

North Dakota State Representative Ruth Buffalo was a primary proponent of the logo change.

A bit more research found that while the "butter" issue attracted endless media attention (Google it) with all sorts of opining about it the water issue receives little attention in comparison. It also became clear that Ruth Buffalo has apparently never touched the clean water issue.

In the meantime a disproportionate number of Native Americans have no access to clean water. You have to really dig to find this information. I learned about it while watching coronavirus coverage when it was noted that regular hygiene was tough for some populations (the homeless are of course another).

"Native Americans are disproportionately without access to clean water, according to a new report, "Closing the Water Access Gap in the United States: A National Action Plan," to be released this afternoon, which shows that more than two million Americans do not have access to running water, indoor plumbing or wastewater services.

The report is the result of a collaboration from two national non-profit groups, DigDeep and the US Water Alliance. It found that 58 out of every 1,000 Native American households lack plumbing, compared with three out of every 1,000 white people.

The report noted that an estimated 30 percent of people on the Navajo Nation lack access to running water and must haul water, but local officials report that the actual number may be even higher.

The paper noted that many study participants in the Navajo Nation in the Southwest have under 10 gallons of water at home at any given time. Many use as little as two or three gallons per day, which stands in stark contrast to the 88 gallons per day used by the average American, according to the report. That minimal water use means people in the Navajo nation have to make difficult choices between hygiene and water needed for food.

"It's hard to imagine that in America today, people are living without basics like safe and reliable water service," said Radhika Fox, CEO, US Water Alliance in a press release.

NPR profiled Darlene Yazzie, an elderly woman who is a member of the Navajo nation. She needs to fill two 50-gallon barrels with water and then drive to a windmill to fetch water for her sheep. The water from the windmill is not fit for human consumption since it has unhealthy levels of arsenic and uranium.

"A lot of people died of cancer around here," Yazzie said to NPR. "I noticed that more are being diagnosed. I'm pretty sure it's because of the environment and the water."

The new report and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have both confirmed her hunch. The ground water in the Four Corners area is contaminated by 521 abandoned uranium mines. When uranium mining was at its peak in the 1990s, gastric cancer rates in the area doubled, according to the new paper, as NPR reported. The EPA says that unregulated drinking water sources are the greatest public health risk to the Navajo Nation, according to NPR."

https://www.ecowatch.com/clean-wate...1381524.html

My point is that just because you think the butter label uproar is PC silliness does not mean that you should be painted as part of a "vocal minority who still thinks it is 1955. And there is a passive acceptance of this as "group think"." and or are on the receiving end of "No doubt there are many people who like the old days when we had good manners and diptheria."

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5926 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ZZZ...ZZZ...ZZZ
Valued Member
332 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've noticed that for discount postage listings, stamps depicting religious holidays and ethnic/racial heritage/pride, often sell for less than the ubiquitous American flag stamps.

Would you place those types of stamps on an envelope or package to someone that you know (but who doesn't know you are a philatelist) who is not affiliated with stamp's celebration of specific religion or ethnicity?
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 3,223Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05