Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Political Correctness Influence Your Mailing?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 105 / Views: 4,360Next Topic
Page: of 7
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's not punishment to take other people's feelings into account.

Indeed.

Speaking of the Land-O-Lakes logo change, another stamp that has not aged particularly well, in my mind, is Scott 565.

It's a beautiful stamp artistically. But in the context of that series? Up against all those specific past American leaders and natural wonders, the USPS offered this portrait of a random Native American? Not Tecumseh, not Sequoyah, but just some rando Native American?

The stamp seems to regard American Indians more as a natural wonder than as actual individual people.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6640 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Huh?
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just going to ask about posting on old posts, then this " STOP! This topic has been dormant for over 1 year.........." popped up.

So what are some suggestions as to when it would be useful to revive an old post, or as suggested, start a new one?
Some (a lot) have much useful references and content, some not so much.
Maybe a link back to the original?.

So in answering this one - l used to send mail to collectors overseas with the $2 inverted Jenny and an American flag sticker.
I did until they stopped getting to the intended target.
Either whoever along the way really liked the Jenny, or really disliked the flag.

Also to pivot, did anyone ever get the right side up jenny in the lottery? The lottery as in buying sealed packs looking for one. I still have a sealed pack here somewhere. One day l may be surprised. Will always be a possibility until I finally open it.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 565 pictures Hallow Horn Bear. A famous Brle Chief of the Lakota people.
He is always pictured with the dignity that he held himself with. May he RIP
Edited by GMC89 - 06/21/2021 7:48 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32853 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amen.
(Typo : Hollow Horn Bear)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/22/2021   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...another stamp that has not aged particularly well, in my mind, is Scott 565....But in the context of that series? Up against all those specific past American leaders ... a ... Native American?

Seems that there is no problem with a Native American, the 8th such elected to the US Congress, "up against...(an) American Leader (POTUS #43) at the same podium:

Quote:
...to regard American Indians more as a natural wonder than as actual individual people.

Well frankly some are both natural wonders and individuals. Two quickly come to mind, Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell, 1964 US Olympian and Jim Thorpe, 1912 US Olympian, Gold, Pentathlon and Decathlon.

In politics Ben was instrumental in establishing the National Museum of the American Indian on the National Mall. It is there you can learn about Chief Hollow Horn Bear whose portrait likely appears on the 1899 $5 silver certificate (or it was Running Antelope who died in 1896) and the US 1970 $10 Military Payment Certificate. As to the 1922 stamp, he could be pictured as "generic" but not by name as he had died March 15, 1913 thus was not dead 10 years as was required for non-Presidents appearing on US Stamps.

Portrait photo of Hollow Horn Bear-

Color lithograph derived from portrait-

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/22/2021 02:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/22/2021   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was just going to ask about posting on old posts, then this " STOP! This topic has been dormant for over 1 year.........." popped up.

So what are some suggestions as to when it would be useful to revive an old post, or as suggested, start a new one?

In those instances, I find as useful, this:

With that no one sees my post on an old thread as an accident.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrownstownSoul to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott 565 pictures Hallow Horn Bear. A famous Brle Chief of the Lakota people.
He is always pictured with the dignity that he held himself with. May he RIP

It would have been better for Hallow Horn Bear to have been named on that stamp the way the Post Office Department named all the white people in that series.

Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread! I did refrain from using a plate block of the Stone Mountain Memorial issue on my mail recently. Still seems an odd choice to commemorate on a US stamp a bunch of folks who took up arms against the US government, but times were different, I suppose.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7541 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several other US stamps that honor the Confederacy or Confederate leaders. The Army-Navy set has some, the UCV issue, the Washington-Lee university issue.....there are others.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
281 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are interesting issues, for sure.

Do people who play wargames "honor" war?
Does honoring a soldier, or group of soldiers, on a stamp "honor" war?
Do people who collect III Reich Germany "honor" Nazis?

In my not so humble opinion, what we are talking about is history.
History is either correct, not correct, or revisionist.

As a history fanatic, I seek the truth. And, I seek to learn from it.

Since we are all flawed human beings, there are plenty of examples of the good, the bad,
and the ugly...

I will not concern myself with political correctness regarding postage stamps.
There's enough of that in other parts of my life. If it is valid for postage, I
will use it.

As a retired US Army Senior Noncommissioned Officer (20 years, 2 days active duty, 1974-1994),
I never met a soldier (officer or enlisted) who was fond of war.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 07/27/2021 6:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6640 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would have been better for Hallow Horn Bear to have been named on that stamp the way the Post Office Department named all the white people in that series.

Quote:
As to the 1922 stamp, he could be pictured as "generic" but not by name as he had died March 15, 1913 thus was not dead 10 years as was required for non-President appearing on US Stamps.

As to the mere "white people" [Nine were dead former POTUS, One the first First Lady, another the first US Postmaster General of the USA, scientist of note, and founding father of the USA, and the last dead 140+ years no matter what you think of Mr. Hale] as you call them, they were all dead long enough to qualify for a named stamp image by the rule of the day.

For clarity, are you saying you wished Chief Hollow Horn Bear died sooner so his name could have been used on a stamp rather than having another year or more of life to pass on his wisdom? What is your short hand for the Chief? If former POTUS and others of major note are just "white people" as you write, what is he in your language terms?

Did you know that a Medal of Honor winner, William Haliday Williams, was the RFD carrier pictured on the 4 cent US Parcel Post Stamp, identified as, "Rural Carrier" and nothing else? The hero was alive at the time as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
585 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was no 10-year-dead rule when Hollow Horn Bear appeared on the stamp. It's a beautiful image and perhaps helped mainstream America realize the importance of our native peoples. The stamp was issued just 32 years after the massacre at Wounded Knee.

There are many old stamps I would not use on correspondence to individuals because either I don't care for the subject or I feel the subject might offend the recipient. Why go down that road if you care about that person? Seems mean and nasty to me.

What I don't understand are actions such as one noted long earlier in this thread that some woman uses Eid stamps on her Christmas cards. I suppose if she is Muslim I might understand that she is merely trying to join in the festivities with her beliefs. But I did not think that is what was intended by the person noted in this thread by her brother.

Is sending religious stamps contrary to the contents supposed to carry some kind of meaning? Likely negative, possibly positive? Doesn't make sense to me.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6640 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just issue solid colored stamps with the denomination or Forever on them and nobody can be offended. Or can they? If someone is determined enough they will find something to find issue with. Lots of time on lots of people's hands it seems. The outrage/PC machine is a hungry animal as well. It needs to be fed.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 105 / Views: 4,360Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05