Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

From Russia To France With Wax Seals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all at SCF
I hope this finds you all well and in good spirits
I am also waiting for this lovely looking item currently on transit to its new home here. I am aware that these envelopes usually contained coins. The front looks incredibly complex and rather 'messy'. I gather this may be the information on the contents?

I promise I am stopping acquiring things now as I have too much to research.
Send note to Staff
Edited by lostandfound - 04/29/2020 2:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5050 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Money letter containing 225 roubles, to Judith etc, wife of the Colonel of Russian engineers ". Lucky girl.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 04/29/2020   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Id say so! thats a nice wee spend for his wife. One would imagine the household costs would have been substantial as Im assuming she would have had a rather lavish place?
Definitely goggling some more info about i.
Thanks geoffha

(The letter cost me 489 roubles in todays money, the bargain buyer I am..)
Valued Member
Belarus
91 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The money letter is that more interesting that it was sent from Mukden in Manchuria (present-day Shenyang in China) through the reserve field post office No. 11, just a couple of months before the battle of Mukden during the Russo-Japanese war - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mukden
Edited by vicaf60 - 04/30/2020 03:21 am
Valued Member
Belarus
91 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the sender was an interesting person in himself - colonel (then) Vladimir Alexandrovich Rakint, the Chiief of the Omsk combat-engineer brigade - you can see an article on him in Wikipedia, unfortunately, only in Russian, and the forum does not seem to accept Russian letters, to write the name here
Edited by vicaf60 - 04/30/2020 03:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1488 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   04:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He wrote a book in 1897 "History of the Grenadier-Sapper Battalion of H.I.H. Grand Duke Peter Nikolaevich"

and rates a mention for it on this site, see page 79

https://yourievsky.net/upload/Romanov_News_89.pdf

and a better view of the cover:

https://www.christies.com/zh/lotfin...ctid=4993127
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 04/30/2020   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats fantastic! What an amazing piece of history. Now I'm the lucky girl. Thank you so much for you input vicaf60 and 22crows.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05