Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Your Process For Breaking Down A Collection And Organization

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 852Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Phillystamper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A broad topic I guess, maybe a little naive as well. I just acquired a casual 50 year collection (two huge citation albums and some FDC) with an eye to integrate some of the US stuff into my collection and fund my hobby by selling the excess on ebay. My question is about organising the effort. Stockbooks? Glassine envelopes? Economical hacks? Recommendations? It's a lot of not very valuable world stuff, 60s-late 70s mostly with plenty of 20s-30s as well. I thought maybe I should sort by topical if the set/issue isn't complete. I started out a bit random but think I should back up a little before I make a mess.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
897 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   3:23 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However you choose to store material for sale, make sure it is well-labelled and you are consistent. At first I found I would have to search in three places for the items that sold. In terms of what to sell, I suggest using eBay's advanced search to look for "Sold" items. This can tell you what really sells vs. trying to figure it out from what is listed. Some listings stay up for years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly, That's why I'm going to slow down and not get ahead of myself. I hate searching for things. I've been using the sold feature a lot to be pragmatic about it. What are you using to file?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4888 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I usually display country lots on stock-pages - front and back of the stamp if appropriate. I then post them loose in glassines or smaller stock-cards, which cuts postage costs. Larger country lots go into stock-books or, if mounted, stay on their leaves. In the past, I've cleared out scruffy, old albums in job lots. Decent pictures, accurate descriptions with definitions, quick posting after sales, immediate dealing with any problems - the usual stuff. It fills in the day!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1359 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Phillystamper: early this year, I finished downsizing a former world wide collection, with elements of multiple other purchased collections that never got integrated into my main Scott Big Blue International albums due mostly to being duplicates. If I had boxed everything, we're talking 8-9 large banker boxes full of material.

I sold all of the French material, except St. Pierre, at a large auction house and have other stuff at a different auction house waiting for lotting. More items of higher value will go to the APS Stamp Store when it reopens. I don't use eBay.

Most of the stuff was low value. So I gave it away; around 90 manila file folders full of single country album pages; as donations to the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library. I've taken tax write-offs for the RMPL donations in 2018, 2019, and will again this year.

A thought for you to consider, unless you're already an eBay dealer, is why spend all that time on shipping and mailing of cheap stuff? How much is your time worth? Donating to a philatelic library to use in its fundraising has worked for me. Or if you belong to a stamp club, support their programs.

As I said, just a thought. And, now, I'm organizing, with some re-mounting, retained collections. Still a big task, but feels real good to have the other material long gone.
Edited by Climber Steve - 05/05/2020 7:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been selling on ebay since it began but not as seriously as I've been since the current situation began, this has been a way to focus myself I suppose. I'd been a dormant collector prior to this situation so not a member of a club, tho will explore that once it passes. I know I'm not going to get rich doing this, it's more of a way to learn the 'trade' and widen my knowledge of stamps.
My struggle has always been with organization. I was thinking about using the flip books the FDC's are stored in to slip glassine envelopes alphabetically by country or topic for larger lots and putting singles in stock books? The flip books are those clear rolodex like boards, not sure what they are called.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4724 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Breaking down a huge lot or collection ----Go to the store and buy a gallon of ice tea .

First thing is get everything done around the house . After that is done,pour yourself a ice tea and just look at what you got look thru all of it . Then sit back and have another tea . Now your ready to put what supply you will need next to the stamps.

Pull out those things that are a special interest first and get them organized .Have more tea . Then break the rest down to seperate piles .
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader! that wouldnt be long island iced tea would it?

Agree completely one must have a tidy clear mind to see the system. I like to pull out the interesting ones and those I need now and then put the rest into continent country order and by that time im sure I have small ones arriving home that need to be fed and watered. Its a constant distraction for me.. But oh so exciting.

I am not yet qualified nor experienced enough to consider selling anything even duplicates.
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/08/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Iced tea, As a Texan now in the Northeast, Yes, a big cold pitcher of it. I had a few pages at the front of one of the albums that must have been near a damp wall? the mint stamps in that first couple inches have spots adhered to the pages. Not the whole stamp but enough. I'm making an extra large sweat box to place a whole page in. Ordered 16 x 20 X 4 tupperware....
Patience....and Ice Tea.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
530 Posts
Posted 05/09/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a quick way to do it and a very long way to do it.

The quick way,

Go through it pick out what you want and then list whatever is left for sale with a low starting bid. Take as many pictures as practical.

If this is a single album, just list an entire album. More then one, list one at a time. Large accumulation, break down in several groups by a region or country.

This is a good way if you want to move a lot of material or get rid of your unwanted stuff quickly.

And then, there is very long way to do it.

Separate stamps by mint and used.

Separate by country.

Soak used stamps.

Examine each stamp. Assign catalog number and for catalog value, see if you have any valuable varieties.

List valuable stamps individually. (sale price about 1/3 of CV for mint and 1/5 of CV for used for fine sound stamps)

List common stamps by country lots of around 100 with no duplicates. (sale price about 10% of catalog value for stamps without obvious damage)

List lots of 500 or so all different common stamps from all odd countries and those with numerous copies. (sale price 1 cent per stamp).

Edited by danko - 05/09/2020 9:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/10/2020   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Danko,
Looks like I'm doing the later slow method. There are 3 bound 6" albums with about another albums worth of loose pages then about 300? fdc with about a 1/3rd of those being post war through early 60s. then a jump to modern fdc/s. The interesting thing I discovered among the fdc's. The guy was a doctor so a pharma company was sending him FDCs with a letter inside which would be 1/2 about the stamp and then jarringly shift to hawk some new drug. These are early 60s.
I've found a few good stamps for my collection already, so the rest is cream at this point.
greg
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add XC_Runner18 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@phillystamper I have also been breaking down a collection and I see that you are also from philly! If this breaks any rules please feel free to take it down but I would love to get into contact with you regarding the collection but not sure what the best method would be to do that would be.
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gleiska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@phillystamper, that's funny. I recently bought a collection lot, evidently the owner was also a doctor as he also received those same FDCs with medical advertisements inside. Mainly United Nations FDCs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 852Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05