Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sharing My Collection - 1972 Olympic Shift Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
390 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a large amount of EFO material I would like to share. I collect EFO by topic.

So here I will share a sample of 1972 Olympic color shift errors I have.

I have a mounting project in the works. Are people interested in the errors themselves, or want to just see cool pics?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 05/05/2020   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love that bobsleigh one.
Woops we lost one.

Is that supposed to be a 6 man sleigh? or 2 X 3 man ?
or 3 X 2 man ?
Or woman ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
636 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The one with the sprinters suddenly looks more realistic
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
390 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What goes up, must come down.

These types of errors really got me interested in EFOs. I am fairly selective picking ones based on visual appeal. The other noteworthy thing, is that many EFOs can be had relatively cheaply even if they are uncommon.

Modern issues have had a lot of different errors in printing, but you will often find more extreme versions available if you hunt. The ones I have posted here (except for the normal runner in the jpeg) are some of the more extreme color shifts I have seen in this Olympic issue in the last few years.

Lastly, I am thankful to the moderators of this new forum for finally creating this and hope it will thrive!

Edited by rismoney - 05/06/2020 1:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2325 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   11:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen the uphill runners before, but not the downhill runners
Valued Member
Belarus
91 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cyclists from the same set

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
390 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cyclists!

Here is the most extreme shift I have for that:

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
390 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bobsled stamp amuses me as well. I think up until the 1930's bobsled was actually a 6 person event. The stamp could have been an homage to that.
I think this stamp may also portray a 2 and 4 person sleigh in a combined stamp based on the rider colorings, which were the 2 types of events in 1972 to avoid criticism of preferential sleigh selection.
A third option, is that it is 5 color palette, and they wanted to use them, and not be incorrect in a 5 man sleigh.

Edited by rismoney - 05/07/2020 5:03 pm
Valued Member
Belarus
91 Posts
Posted 05/08/2020   03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vicaf60 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In fact, the artist depicted a two-man bob in motion symbolized by colour change.

Concerning the number of people in a bobsleigh team - originally, there were no strict rules, and the team could consist of 4 or 5 men during the 1st winter Olympics, but later, it was limited to four men, and it had #1090;#1084;#1091;#1082; been 6 in the competitive bobsleigh.
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 05/09/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mike2006 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rismoney, great EFO's, thanks for posting them.

Here is another Bobsled EFO, with the black under inked, making it look like they have snow on them.

And another with him jumping out.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
390 Posts
Posted 05/09/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike2006 those are great!!! Thanks for sharing. I am excited by this forum and why I lobbied for it. Perhaps we can work with stampsmarter to catalog the vars.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2325 Posts
Posted 05/10/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ris - here is a block like your single of the green guy headed for the exit

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
38 Posts
Posted 08/02/2020   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnimatedFDCs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rismoney thanks for sharing. I have always thought this was one of the best Olympic sets issued. I knew there were errors but I hadn't seen all the EFOs you shared.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05