Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collector's Club Virtual Meetings

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 812Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add revcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should I wear full PPE while watching?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i find I get enough protection if I angle the camera so people can only see my eyes and forehead. This virtual mask works fine. wipe the mikrophone with strong surgical alcohol after the meeting.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
975 Posts
Posted 05/06/2020   11:44 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I attended the first one which was on the stamp series of 1902. It was a great presentation and pointed out lots of details about the making of the stamps and the designs used that I had not heard. I'm looking forward to the one on the NY provisional.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So am I. I am disappointed that it must be virtual, I was greatly looking forward to it for several months.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1400 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 1902 presentation was exceptional and the level of scholarship of Mr. Brody is always impressive.

How will these virtual meetings affect the financing of philatelic associations? If all meetings are virtual, and publicized here on SCF and elsewhere, and anyone can register and see them for free, then why am I paying for a membership? The magazine? It becomes hard to justify the cost of membership, beyond the cost of a printed magazine, if everything else is free to everyone and there is no access to a physical library or social events with members. These clubs may end up moving to a donation model where a small group of wealthy members underwrites everyone who participates for free. Or the meetings will be moved behind a paywall; professional legal associations have already done that. Want to "stay connected" and "virtually network with" your colleagues in the law association, via a virtual seminar? That'll be $99, please.

I guess we can hope that the virtual model is merely temporary, but I wonder. The goal of rearranging offices and commercial social events, and "reopening," as currently envisioned but planned for the long haul, seems to be motivated by the goal of zero infectious disease transmission in group events, and/or to accommodate the most anxious participants out of proportion to actual risk--things we never did before winter 2019-2020.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any inside info, but I am sure this is just a temporary situation. The regular meetings are far more then just the talk and viewing of material, it is very social. It traditionally brings a large number of people, and I don't see that changing when it is possible to have them again.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2854 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
APS has stated their online activity such as stamp chats will reduce dramatically once things start returning to normal.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4925 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore - That is interesting. I would think that APS would continue at current levels and even increase their online stamp chats. What a great and convenient way to reach out to people. Old habits and ways die hard evidently.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Noocassel and all,

A new fashion trend can be called the "quarentineekini" dressing for success from the shoulders up?

There needs to be a balance between having open to all and restricted to membership only digital presentations and documents. TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

There are two major philatelic groups I plan on now joining because they are now more digitally accessible that were not accessible to me due to my physical limitations and geographic location. I joined a third last week.

If you make useful information available at a reasonable cost they will connect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 05/12/2020   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a reminder, this is happening tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2207 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mark Schwartz's presentation on the NY Provisional was very well done, as expected.

I really enjoy this method of presentation - Zoom.
It allows for an interactive discussion at the end as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1883 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its nice but I still miss going to my stamp club meetings.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7012 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I miss them too. But I was glad to see several familiar faces looking well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had signed up yesterday hoping to join the meeting. Didn't get home in time and missed out.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 812Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05