Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cash-Strapped Postal Service 'In Peril' Without Intervention From Congress: Watchdog

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,073Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4793 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There is a link in the article to the full May 2020 GAO report.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/po...ess-watchdog
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and Post Roads".

If the USPS were to go bankrupt, would a private entity take them over and would existing stamps be valid for postage?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2942 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe the general population would allow Congress to let the USPS go fully bankrupt, or to privatize the USPS, or to have any large quantity of previous stamps effectively be demonetized. The voter backlash at the ballot box would be significant.
Edited by John Becker - 05/07/2020 1:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The current problem faced by the USPS is not new. The services needed by citizens for its services change over time. The post office has to keep evolving to meet todays circumstances and future needs. The challenge is to professionally run a solid business plan in this political environment.
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The average citizen no longer needs the services of the USPS and while the USPS ranks high in satisfaction among government agencies, the majority of people would not shed a tear if it were eliminated, which I don't know how that could be done, given its constitutional mandate. Businesses and philatelists should be concerned about a private entity taking over the USPS and then not honoring the hundreds of millions of outstanding stamps in circulation or setting a time limit on their redemption/validity, much like when the Euro currency was introduced.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6956 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The average citizen no longer needs the services of the USPS "

I suspect that the "average citizen" does not realize how much they still need the USPS; they would learn very quickly if it ever actually left us.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4793 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Random thoughts:

The First Class Mail volume decrease is impossible to overcome. You cannot incentivize using something that is no longer the way to do business. Electronic communication is only going to increase to the point where FCM is a thing of the past. When I read the report and background documents it becomes clear that USPS leadership did nothing creative to mitigate that revenue loss.

If people want last mile delivery of every piece of mail they are going to have to pony up when it comes to rates.

Saturday mail and a Post Office in every town is going to be a thing of the past. DPO collectors will have a growing list of offices to acquire in the not too distant future.

Taxpayer subsidizing of USPS shortfalls is not a viable option because it gives them little incentive to run in the black.

Congress did little to help the Postal Service when they mandated funding pension liabilities ahead of time. That is the catalyst for where the USPS is now. Poor business decisions compounded the problem.
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The average citizen in 2020 most likely sends and receives little to no first class mail and probably mails zero packages a year, but his/her receipt of packages might cost more if e-commerce sites that use the USPS raise their shipping rates.

The average citizen would also be relived to no longer receive "junk mail."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2834 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say is expect higher prices not matter what happens to send greetings cards, pay your taxes, stamps you mail and receive, mail that ballot, etc. Even the USPS wants to raise your rates.

From the last data I saw, first class mail is dead with just only 55 billion pieces handled so need to avoid that,

Al
Edited by angore - 05/07/2020 4:11 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
110 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The average citizen would also be relived to no longer receive "junk mail."

While I don't care for having to sort through the "junk mail" I find that easier to quickly process, recycle, and deal with than e-mail spam (I find it more time consuming to scan through to make sure I'm not inadvertently deleting something important) or robo calls and texts.

The volume of e-mail spam and robo calls/texts will inevitable increase if standard class postal mail is eliminated.
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
angore: What do you expect the price of a Forever stamp to rise to in the next 5 years?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pharmaceutical industry will most likely be pushing to keep the USPS going. It's reason why we still have Saturday delivery. Too many other businesses, large and small depend on the USPS. It cannot fail without causing immense harm.
Valued Member
Learn More...
388 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
probably mails zero packages a year

Hate to say it, but with Covid, the line of folks standing outside my post office every single day holding packages to send goes around the corner of the building. All day long.

They only let 5 people into the lobby at a time - everyone else stands outside.

Lots of packages being sent by John and Jane Doe...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2834 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin,

I have no idea but the USPS does have to price such that some rate classes are not losing money. First class has been the most profitable but cannot be expected to subsidize other rates in my opinion. Remote locations get subsidized by urban areas. First class is far from dead but cannot sustain the USPS.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/07/2020 5:17 pm
Valued Member
247 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Battlestamps: They are part of a coalition to stop the "package tax."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...giant-boost/

Perhaps if the cost to mail a 1lb Priority Mail box approaches $40, coupled with First class mail's rapid decline, then discount postage sales might be a thing of the past or you might see 32c stamps sell for 1/3rd of face value, since you can't fit 132 of them on a box.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2942 Posts
Posted 05/07/2020   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS also needs to be given more freedom from the meddling of Congress to run itself as a streamlined business and find some cash-saving ways of its own.

My mail is delivered to a box at the end of my driveway, the carrier passes both ways on my street - and has for 50+ years with a hundred or more stops and starts. Why hasn't my neighborhood been forced into delivery at 3-4 blocks of central boxes? Little things to chip away at the overall business process
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,073Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05