Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Introduction From Chicago - Jim

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,421Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5935 Posts
Posted 05/12/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chicagoland to me means suburbs. What part of the city are you in?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome walkman82! I'll be eager to learn more about containment, if you will, because there are so many options. I know the passion of which you speak because I'll pick-up a perfectly engraved mint stamp and just gaze at it.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stallzer. I live in "Printer's Row, in Chicago. If you know the city, I live at Polk and Wells, across from River City. Hope that helps!
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey ramshomerfan, I'm eager to check-out the different "album" option you mentioned. I'm still not exactly sure what I'm going to do.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/13/2020   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again Walkman82!
What are PNC coil stamps and "how" do you collect them. I haven't checked out the website yet but I'm about to. The more I learn about stamps the more I realize I do not know.
Thanks!
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this "quick reply" option new or does it appear after posting so many reply's?
Thanks!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
Maybe you''ve already found out by searchig the site, but PNC is plate number coil. That is, coil stamps that bear a plate number on 'em.
There is an informative thread on this at http://goscf.com/t/42661 which discusses and links to their society, several collectors are in this forum, too.
Edited by jleb1979 - 05/15/2020 7:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JasTwister,

PNCs are U.S. plate number coil stamps. There are tiny plate numbers on nearly all coil stamps issued since 1981 that appear at regular intervals at the bottom of the stamps. They're usually collected as mint strips of 3 or strips of 5, sometimes longer, as used singles, first day covers, commercial covers, etc. I've been collecting PNCs since 1987, so they've been around for a (relatively) long time. I started with strips of 5, but have expanded my collection to virtually all aspects of PNCs.

This strip of 5 has plate number 66666 on the middle stamp.

This used single has plate number 13231A.
Member APS, PNC3, AFDCS, PSS

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org) Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information on PNC's. Yes, I did a search on them and realize, one again, just how much I have to learn. I don't believe I have any save for the partial $0.03 plates I have. Unfortunately, I don't have access to those right now but look forward finding a few when I return to Chicago.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Meant to say "coils," not "plates" in my last post! Sorry!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
377 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Jas Twister. I too have resumed collecting after a long hiatus and settled quickly on classics world-wide, because of their beauty and the history. I use Lighthouse stockbooks rather than a printed album for the freedom they allow and so that I don't have to look at all the empty spaces designed for stamps I'll probably never own. My only real advice is, ask any question you may have. This forum has so many knowledgeable people with a remarkable willingness to help. It's been the single best resource for me, one that has enhanced my interest in, and enjoyment of, collecting more than anything could. Really, it's a club of helpful friends from all over the world, always ready to respond no matter what your (philatelic) problem. I really can't imagine anything better. Hope you'll find it the same.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks EMaxim, Questions - Ah yes and I will have many. Working to try and really familiarize with the site because I don't want to ask what's already been answered! I like your idea of the Lighthouse stockbooks. I'm "road-testing" one now. Are there any Lighthouse stockbooks in particular that you can think of that have heavier acetate page protectors? Like others, I too am becoming frustrated with the flimsier pages; I find I spend a lot of time "straightening" them.
Thanks again!
JIM
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
377 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,
I use Lighthouse, Stanley Gibbons, and Lindner pseudo-leatherbound stockbooks (16, 32, and 64 pages) because their bindings look great, the pages are heavyweight, and the interleaving protects the stamps. All three brands offer several levels of quality, from basic to deluxe, but at each level they're all about the same. At the basic level, that is, there isn't much difference of appearance or quality. Ditto for the more expensive versions. The glassine interleaving is always the same, and you do have to be careful not to crease it. I'm not aware of any heavier duty interleaving. I always use the black page versions, because to me the stamps look better on black. Currently I prefer the Prophila line from Lighthouse, which is very like the deluxe version (nicely padded cover) but at a somewhat reduced cost because 60 rather than 64 pages. I avoid Lindner now because I've found that their clear trays often have insufficient glue, so that stamps can fall through. Also, I get all my stockbooks free, because my credit card gives points that I can use on Amazon. When I have enough points, I buy another. I've been very happy using stockbooks for my entire collection. Printed albums just seem too restrictive.

Eric
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greeting s again! I am hoping for a few suggestion here as each time I get into this forum I am newly amazed at the quality and quantity of information available. This has probably been asked and answered many times but as this site has evolved the answer(s) to this question I'm sure have evolved as well. Here goes:
- I'm spending time just going through the SCF to figure out primarily how "best" to use it and, at the same time contribute as well. I've read the "Read this firsts, etc." but I don't believe that I have a good sense of really "how" to start. Biggest fear is asking a question that has been answered that I didn't/couldn't find in search. So any suggestions on how best to learn this site to use it for mutual advantage? This is the only stamp forum I belong to and my first "forum" in general so, I'm learning as I go. ANY suggestions in how to use this beyond the read this firsts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
JIM

United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, as a continuation of my post just submitted, I hit submit and it seems like I'm getting "Sorry, there has been a problem." "This is a duplicate reply." Any thoughts on what I may be doing for this to keep coming up?
Thanks!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,421Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05