Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Introduction From Chicago - Jim

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,958Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7378 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You accidentally hit the 'enter' button twice ? No harm done,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of helpful people here.

The best way to learn how to use the forum is to start posting! If I have a general question, I do a quick search on some key words. If I can't find what I'm looking for, I start a new thread.

Like all forums, conversations tend to wander. There isn't any penalty for asking a previously asked question. Someone will quickly point it out. We won't shave your head and take away your birthday!

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
645 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

I too have never belonged to any other forum. But no need for fears. If you ask a question that's already been addressed, someone will provide a link to that thread, and do so without reproaching you for not finding it yourself. If you post a question to the wrong forum, management will move it for you. Again without reproaching you. The only thing that seems to aggravate some members is when someone appears focused on making money out of stamps and wants the forum to say that he's hit the jackpot. And then keeps doing it. Such a person may be reminded that we're collecting stamps, not mining for gold. But for help and advice on how to identify and collect, members here are extraordinarily generous. As a relatively new user, I have mainly asked for that help and advice when I ran into problems of identification. I've only occasionally tried to help someone else by putting in my two cents. I'm really not advanced enough to do much more. So, in general, I'd say that you should just go ahead and post any question you may have about a particular stamp or about methods of collecting and storing. For a particular stamp, however, it's important to post a good scan. Your question will be hard to answer if members can't see the stamp, and photos are usually not good enough.

As for your other question about problems when trying to post: I once was told my post was a duplicate reply, because I had in fact hit submit twice. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say. For the most part, I prepare a submission in Word, then copy it to the forum, so as not to risk timing out—or submitting something full of typos or just plain foolish.

For now my advice is to take a stamp that's giving you trouble and submit a post (with scan) that describes your problem. You'll quickly get the help you need. Do so often and you'll soon be quite comfortable.

Eric
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JasTwister to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aw Dan, threaten me with a good time!
As long as I can trust that somebody will point it out to me, I continue to ask away.
Thanks for the info. Peter.
Thanks for the heads-up EMaxim, sounds perfectly reasonable to to me. I'm not near nor will I be in that position. All of this information is very helpful.
I will ask my first question later today about Thurn und Taxis.
Cheers!
JIM
Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First off, welcome.

Second, if you decide to collect Ecuador as part of South America, let me know; can likely help you there.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,958Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05