Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Macy's Stamp Department

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 3,154Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 05/14/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pronounced Jawdan Mahsh if you are from Quincy.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
Posted 05/14/2020   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rogdcam

Don't have to be from Quincy. I'm from Bangah, Maine. Is there any other to pronounce it?????

Jerry B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 05/14/2020   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"40s, 50s........" Some of you guys really are "dating yourselves." :-) :-) :-) Are you guys like 90 years old, or what? :-)

My parents took me to New York City and Washington D.C. in summer of 1963 as an 8th grade graduation present. I still have a QE II Seychelles flying fox stamp that I bought at Gimbels in Manhattan. Haven't been in Manhattan since. I do own the Nassau Street book by Herst.

Around summer, 1965, Jacques Minkus came to town (Indianapolis) to open up a stamp shop; a Gimbels I think; in the basement of L.S. Ayres, one of the three main department stores downtown. My mother gave me a couple dollars to spend and bus fare, so I hopped on and rode downtown. I don't remember what I bought, but did get to meet Jacques. He was very friendly and open to people, whether you were a high priced lawyer looking to spend big bucks with him, or just a kid with a few dollars. I still remember what he looked like and the dark suit he was wearing.
Valued Member
United States
361 Posts
Posted 05/14/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't I tell you this is a great thread!!!
Now it's brought back to my mind the Littlecote Hobby Shop -- Genesee St. near Hopper St., down a few stairs and turn to the right, in Utica, N.Y. -- where I got lots of my stamps in the 1940's!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
959 Posts
Posted 05/14/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In Maine, Woolworth's was one place to buy stamps (I remember them). The other place was the only dealer in town (I was splurging if I bought a 5 cent stamp). Also, on the back of comic books, do you remember the advertisements for stamp approvals? One I remember is Littleton (still in business).

It was pretty much the same for me in a town of 40,000 in central California in the 1970s. I got approvals from H.E. Harris and Littleton. In addition to Woolworth's and the stamp dealer on Main Street, we also had a department store called Gemco that had collecting supplies like albums and hinges, and I think they also sold packets of foreign stamps there, too.

A special treat was to go with my uncle to the big city of Fresno for FRESPEX each year.
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bzurer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember when I was around 10 I got $2 per week from my father for stamps.Each Saturday, I got on the subway to Times Square and went to Stampazine which at that time was on 43rd Street near Broadway (they later got fancy and moved up to 57th Street). I would sit on one in a row of stools at a glass covered counter and try to spend my $2 wisely. At the counter I was in the company of man men smoking cigars. I can still remember the pungent atmosphere and the seriousness with which they pored over the stamps.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was also Woolworth's in Waltham, MA, that sold stamps on the '50s. There were also small stamp stores/dealers in various area towns but I don't remember any names or addresses. I got stamps on approval from Littleton and visited the H.E.Harris store in Boston once or twice.

Anyone else remember Garcelon Stamp Company? I still have one of their old catalogs.

Good times...
Donald
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Donald

I remember Garcelon. I have one of their glassines someplace.

Jerry B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Jordan Marsh, Boston (now Macy's) had a stamp & coin section that featured Minkus products.. in 1967 the Minkus New American Album was $3.00 & a 2-volume set of World Wide (3,000 pages of over 45,0000 illustrations was priced $15.90...A set of Zeppelins was available for $550.... I have a 1967 Stamp News which only cost $0.25 (Fall-Winter).
Edited by eligies - 05/18/2020 10:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1619 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also remember Garcelon Stamp Co.

My first exposure to a stamp shop was Lapin's in Jamaica NY at about age 10 or so. It was a small place, small counter, nothing like the big one described in an earlier post. Bernard Lapin was tolerant of working with kids though you could tell if there were bigger spenders in the shop his attention was very difficult to catch.

He had a lot of British Colonies in stock books and he let me browse the books directly. I would spend a few hours perusing his BC stock to determine what I wanted most and could afford. Lapin was very patient with me. I made sure never to show up with less than $10, a princely sum for a 10 year old in 1970. Between allowance, a paper route, and various other side hustles I could save $10+ in 2 weeks (after setting some money aside for pizza and candy).

At the time, Jamaica NY had 2 other stamp shops I knew of. One was called (as I recall) Merritt & Merritt, which was 2 blocks away from Lapin's. Their stock was put up in glassines, inside file drawers, and no one including adults could touch a thing. A classmate and I visited only once as it became immediately clear the store did not want customers who were kids. Whatever. Never went back.

The other stamp shop I knew about in Jamaica was Helmut Stemple. I only visited once- he specialized in Germany and that segment of the hobby seemed to dominate the bustle in the shop. Lapin's British Colonies were a much better fit for me.

By the time I was about 12 or so, Bernard Lapin had 2 heart attacks close together; the second one unfortunately was fatal. He has 2 sons who took over the shop but I guess they didn't understand the stamp business. The ran it into the ground and by 1974 or so Lapin's was gone forever.

Downtown Flushing NY had a bustling shopping district, and there was a popular coin shop that kids frequented call Flushing Coin & Gold. I was never aware of a stamp shop in Flushing but I bet there probably were 1 or 2.
Edited by shermae - 05/17/2020 4:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7014 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to visit Flushing fairly regularly as a boy; I don't ever remember seeing a stamp store in the shopping area there. I also lived near there in the 80's, and for certain there wasn't one at that time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I remember a stamp shop on Long Island that I bought some stamps from. I believe they were in Huntington. There was a shop closer in and I bought a lot of stamps from them. They mainly sold US New Issues and Nordic countries. I don't remember the name of either shop.

Also attended weekend shows at Roosevelt field.

Jerry B
Edited by jbcev80 - 05/18/2020 05:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ciletaliph to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Someones last stamps 1953?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
580 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember Stampazine when I could get to NYC. But in Philadelphia you had Philly Stamp and Coin (Fernand Creed), j and H stamps on 5th street as I recall and Edelman's in Jenkintown. There was another dealer in downtown Philly on the other side of City Hall towards the Delaware River, capelli's on market street. When I first started collecting Philly Stamp was mostly stamps and some coins. Creed worked with his wife Hattie. I remember his vault where he kept the better items out in plain view. As Creed got older he turned the business over to his nephew I think. At that time other types of collectibles particularly sports cards got introduced in the business. That's when the serious stamp business dried and with it the company. I think they were either bought out, merged, or relocated to NJ. But by then the business no longer resembled what I remember.
Edited by funcitypapa - 05/18/2020 2:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
15 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went to school and worked in Newark, New Jersey in the 60's and 70's. Bamberger's, which was part of the Macy's family was my source for my Minkus All American album and supplements. For current stamps, however, I depended upon the Newark Post Office, which had a philatelic window. Since I worked in the Post Office building from 68-71, I got to know the person who handled that window and was my source for all new issues and who saved plate number blocks for me as each stamp came out. Later, whiles the Post Office was in walking distance from where I worked, that relationship continued. Then we moved to the suburbs and my stamp collection efforts depended upon the local post office and a small dealer in Morristown, across from the court house. By then, I had a wife and 2 kids and my stamp collecting came to a halt, only to be revived 45 years later, when I had the time and could afford to try to fill in the blanks in my US collection.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 3,154Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05