Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Macy's Stamp Department

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,503Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crusherjc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I can remember going to Macys in NYC a couple times a year in the late 1970s and early 1980s. My father would take me(maybe 10yo) into the city from long island on the LIRR, and we would make a day of it in the city. Can remember going to the main post office on 8th ave, and looking at the what seemed like an endless set of steps to get in there, and go to the philatelic window!. Loved going to Macys, riding up the old wooden escalator and buying a few coins and stamps. Was sad when I hadnt been there in a while, and went up to where it was located to find it was gone, that was sometime in the mid 1980's if I recall. Still keep cancelled stamps in this old Macys envelope. Whenever I open the box its kept it, just brings back memories of time spent with my father. That envelope is worth more to me than the stamps I have collected.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pogopossum to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember the stamp counter in Bambergers in Newark. I think the store had wooden escalators also. My parents usually went there only once a year around Christmas. In the late sixties there was a stamp dealer called, if I remember correctly, The Stamp Corner on South Orange Avenue in South Orange.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 06/07/2020   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moonwalker925 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 1st US stamps We're from Gimbels Roosevelt Field In 1971.

Also started getting them at the Levittown Times Square Store through the early 80's.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4767 Posts
Posted 06/08/2020   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your photo of the envelope .Nice keepsake of a era that many of us experienced .

The photo tells a lot both about what they had and what was "HOT" for new collectors . Their inventory was U.S., U.N.,Israel and Vatican once you started looking beyond that what they had was pre-packages of worldwide mixtures .
Edited by floortrader - 06/08/2020 07:29 am
United States
2 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pidget to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I grew up on Long Island in the 60s but didn't start working and living in NYC till the late 70s-1990. I didn't know about Gimballs and Macys stamp shops. I would have been too young to go myself, but would have been cool to visit with my mom who got me interested in stamp collecting early on. How fun to read all of your posts about old stores now a distant memory.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Macy's in Herald Square had a small stamp counter as late as 1992 or early 1993. I got back into stamp collecting in 1992 and subscribed to Linn's Stamp News and Macy's had a small ad in Linn's. I went once after seeing the ad and went up to the floor and there was a small counter for stamps (and maybe coins, I don't remember). There was not much there but it was still a surprise that they had any stamp items.

I did buy most of my stamp supplies shopping at Subway Stamp Shop when they still had a retail store in lower Manhattan until 1994. That store was great. It was small but they had a lot of albums, binders, pages, mounts, etc. in stock.
Edited by DV75 - 07/01/2020 3:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last place where I saw more than a handful of stamp supplies was Books-A-Million and that was 15 years ago The Hobby Lobby I sent to last year had almost nothing.
Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
265 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Our local Books-A-Million had stamp supplies in the early 2010s but, when I went looking again about two years ago, they no longer had stamp supplies but still handled coin supplies.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted Yesterday   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tadas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting hearing from the folks who grew up in Queens NY. I remember hearing the name Lapin, but don't remember going there. I grew up in Richmond Hill, and remember riding my bike to Lang's Stamp and Coin on 114th Street a few doors down from the Jamaica Avenue El. Mr Lang and half his clientele smoked cigars and the place smelled like a humidor. My mom always knew when I'd gone there.

The place was tiny. Two adults could fit in the customer area, and I'd stand in the doorway next to the 2 cent box, and that was it.

What folks today might find amazing is that there were tiny stores like this in every neighborhood - I think there were stores in Woodhaven, Ozone Park and Forest Hills, the neighborhoods near mine.

This was a while ago, but not ancient days. I'm 64, and I was probably 8 to 10 when I remember this.

I also remember the stamp department at Woodward & Lothrop in Washington, DC in the early 80s...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1474 Posts
Posted Today  4 Hrs 42 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also from Queens and have mentioned Lapins several times in the forum. They were on 169th steet just a couple of doors up from Hillside Ave. I believe they were gone by around 1975 or so after Bernie Lapin passed away.

Marlen Stamp and Coin was around at that time in Fresh Meadows (or Bayside??)- 73rd Ave and Bell Blvd however they were not at all kid friendly. Plus, I needed a parent to drive me as the bus ride required 2 transfers. With Lapins I took the bus on 164th street to Hillside Ave and walked 5 blocks. Took maybe 25 mins.

Marlen is still in business in Great Neck NY.
Edited by shermae - Today 4 Hrs 38 Min ago
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,503Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05