Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,549 / Views: 64,520Next Topic
Page: of 104
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
711 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins, thanks for sharing. That's interesting and 73R8 is the only position that has the partial doubling of the right inner line?

Is there any reference that lists all of the constant plate flaws? I think Chase mentions 6 flaws in the imperf plates.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moyock13,

Now that I look around a little more, the flaw above the lower-right rosette appears to be present on all positions, so it must have resulted from damage to the master die.

Regarding the presence of a right inner line that is doubled on my 73R8 example, since there was no recutting of the inner frame lines done on plate 8, these lines must be traces of the inner frame line from the master die. Why it is doubled on my example is subject to discussion. I don't recall seeing a doubled inner line on positions other than 73R8 that is not the result of recutting, but I don't doubt that a little looking around might turn up other examples.

Yes, Chase lists the constant plate flaws on the 3-cent imperforates, but there have been others discovered since his writing.
Edited by Classic Coins - 04/13/2021 5:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
711 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins, congratulations on reaching the 100 page mark.

How many posts is that?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6258 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1,488....1489 counting this one
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Moyock13! It's a testament to the popularity of the 1851-57 imperforate stamps, and especially to all the interesting philatelists who have contributed!
Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 04/13/2021   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins / Ioagoa,

Health is on the mend but I have a ways to go. I was able to get a hold of an Epson scanner and re-scanned the item I asked about above. I am posting this as a test. My scan was simple full auto at 1200. I cropped it but did no other adjustments. I see this much better on my side when enlarged but wanted to see how it shows up on the sight. I will continue to play with this and try to confirm your feedback on plating. No real question on this one just a little follow-up

As always thank for your time and the information you have already shared.

Hobsun
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
Posted 04/14/2021   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Hobsun013 --

Great to see you back on the board -- and happy to hear that your health is on the mend.

Based on your most recent scan, I can reconfirm that your stamp (the one with the black MAR 23 town cds cancel) is position 6R4.

Again -- great to see you back on the board -- and happy to help you out with your future plating endeavors.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 04/24/2021   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11 Strip of four; positions 85R7, 86R7, 87R7, and 88R7

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
155 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a wonderful strip, thanks for sharing and all that you do here in the community.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 04/25/2021   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Chip. You're welcome. It's good to see you here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/02/2021   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Related to the strip of four above, today I coincidentally plated this #11 on cover to position 85R7. The stamp color is 1856 deep brownish carmine.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/06/2021   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just showing some stamps I acquired earlier this year in a single lot. The stamps were described as #11 and #11A in the ad. Many of the stamps were cut into on one or more sides, or otherwise faulty, but as a color student, I found some color specimens in the lot that enhance my color reference set.

The colors from top left are:

Orange brown (#10A)
Brownish carmine/more red (#11A)
Orange red (#11A)
Yellowish rose red/pale and yellowish (#11)

I like finding the yellowish rose reds, as they don't seem to turn up very often.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2379 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking your top right stamp cancel is: N YORK & PHILa RR
I think it matches Towle marking 240-B-1.
There are a couple other similar tracings that may be it - 240-A-4, .. etc
Edited by txstamp - 05/07/2021 5:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/07/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the railroad cancel info, txstamp. I don't have the Towle reference.

It's a funny looking ampersand that doesn't match the only Skinner/Eno example (PM-RR 7, page 341).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2738 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Simpson's "U.S. Postal Markings 1851-61" lists 7 different NY-Philly RR markings. Two of which ar the N. York & Phila/Phil
Page: of 104 Previous TopicReplies: 1,549 / Views: 64,520Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05