Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,553 / Views: 64,602Next Topic
Page: of 104
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Stephen. I'll look at the Simpson book and see if I can match the cancel.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2738 Posts
Posted 05/08/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My money is on the one txstamp mentioned!!
Is there anyway to cross reference other than comparing scans of the tracings?
Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello again,

I am on the mend (still doing physical rehab from heart issues) and restarting my plating of recuts and varieties for this stamp. I used the following traits to reduce my search: Relief C, 2 Inner lines, no Guide dots. This gave me six possibilities (10R1L, 10R3, 60L5L,10R5L, 37R5L, 10L0) and I think I have zeroed in on 60L5L.

This is based on how the left inner frame line curls in at the top and the sharp stop and slight inward turn at the bottom. Also how the right inner frameline meets the rosette.

Of course I am open to all feedback and pointers if I need to look elsewhere. As always, thanks
Hobsun
Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

While I am at this I may as well make a second entry for today. This is a good example of a paper crease at time of printing. This one is deemed to have a Variety 13 - 3 lines in upper left triangle with a guide dot at lower right. It also appears that the right inner line that runs down to far. If all those are correct, I see this as 27R1L.

The guide dot seems to align correctly and the right frameline extends beyond the bottom frameline just a tad so this also seems to matchup. My stamp shows some major gouging at the lower part of both of the upper diamond blocks which are not as clear on the samples I have seen for plating so this may be an issue.

Thanks again for your time and consideration for looking at this one.

Hobsun
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hobson,

It's great to see you here, and I'm happy to hear you're recovering.

Quote:
I think I have zeroed in on 60L5L

60L5L is correct! A misplaced C-relief. The left frame line is distinct the way it bends slightly in several places, and the thickness changes a bit too. These features are more pronounced in a vertically-compressed image. On stamps like this with the top frame line shaved, be careful not to rule out that it may be a top-dot position.

That's a really neat pre-printing crease on your second stamp. Your plating to position 27R1L is correct on this one also. Your stamp has a pretty clear impression compared to the other examples online, and it shows the 3-line recut well. The third recut line in the UL triangle isn't quite perpendicular, and it is spaced farther than the spacing between lines one and two, making this a distinct 3-line position.

Thanks for showing these interesting stamps!
Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 05/09/2021   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Classic Coins,

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct, I was nervous about not really being able to rule out an upper guide dot (given the top frameline cut in) and was pleased that making that assumption helped reduce the number of potentials and one of these was a such solid match. Without that I would have had to search quite a bit longer.

I really do like both of these items, they were included in a small focused collection I acquired and I have been researching and trying to fill in holes. My attempt is to get a reasonable example of each of the identified re-cuts (40) and some of the major varieties listed in Scott. Of course several of them will require an extended search and will likely remain as holes for quite some time. This effort is in conjunction with working through my calendar collection trying to plate some of the more straight forward items.

Thanks
Hobsun
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
712 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a beater pair, reminds me of the cars I drove in High School.
29R4 & 30R4

Valued Member
France
163 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,could anybody tell me what plate and position this two stamps are??? thank you

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a beater pair

Moyock13, that's a nice looking pair with nice color, despite the mis-cutting. I would guess a busy postal clerk carelessly cut them from the pane.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, naufrago,

Those are nice looking stamps, and that's a nice cancel on the second one. Both appear to be printed from either plate 2L or 3.

If you would please post 800 DPI scans, with the stamps straighter, we can help identify the plate positions. If you crop the images closer to the stamps. you'll be able to upload larger images.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been wondering about the ink marks in the left margin of this #10A from position 1L0 for years. The first image is of the stamp in my collection. Today I was browsing the Smithsonian National Postal Museum website, and I came across the same markings, indicating that the markings are likely from plate damage. The second image is posted with permission from the NPM site.

A closer look at the stampplating.com image for position 1L0 reveals it has the same markings, as well as some additional ink spots that are not consistent with the two shown here.

I'd appreciate seeing any other examples anyone may be able to post.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
712 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins, that's interesting! The second image of the 1L0 the inking marks in the left margin look almost like the beginnings of a second stamp image. You can see the frame lines (left and top) and the start of the ULDB. Or, that's what I see.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moyock13,

Good eye! Before, I only noticed a small dot to the left of the big dot, but now that you described it that way, I can see a faint vertical line when I look closer. This just got a little bizarre for me. I'll see if I can post a clearer closeup, as I reduced the NPM image size before posting it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2738 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gary, do you think it might be worth starting a thread about that stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1854 Posts
Posted 05/14/2021   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a closeup of the margin damage left of 1L0 from the original (unreduced) NPM image size:

EDIT: Minor rewording
Edited by Classic Coins - 05/14/2021 10:59 pm
Page: of 104 Replies: 1,553 / Views: 64,602Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05