Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,603 / Views: 67,419Next Topic
Page: of 107
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ioagoa,

Much appreciated. In this case I again placed to much emphasis on my not readily seeing a guide dot. I also was concerned about the strong BFL. I will take my time and look through the options your offered to see what I find. The plate 8 items did not seem to initially line up so I will focus on top row copies of Plate 4. 20 copies is clearly a manageable number to look at. My learning here is to use all the general knowledge that is documented about the plates and not be too focused what I might see quickly or not see in terms of the recuts/guide dots.

Thanks again. I will update after my findings later tonight.

Hobsun
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Classic Coins / Ioagoa,

Evaluating this with the information provided above. I am now leaning towards POS 8R4. A key element to me was the spacing of the right and left frame lines (wider on the right and closer on the left). The "gash" is present but slight and the upper right triangle shows a light overall impression. The UR guide dot is not prominent in the examples I reviewed and is impacted by the cancel in my copy. The other targeted options all seemed to be eliminated by details in the framelines or very prominent guide dots.

The key features seem to be more consistent than my previous suggestion above and any confirmation or correction is appreciated.

As always, thanks for your time and knowledge sharing.

Hobsun
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hobsun013 --

Great work on plating your stamp to position 8R4 (which I have confirmed) !!

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Hobsun. Nice job plating this one.
Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my n░ 7 ty II position 100L 1E 2 strikes ofBlack Grid cancel with a Richard Oporto cert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice stamp, naufrago. Thanks for showing it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
716 Posts
Posted 06/04/2021   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty clean cover with a Charlotte NC CDS. Took me a while to figure this one out. The URDB is gouged out so that lead me to plate 1L. Because the CDS obscures the upper left corner it was difficult to tell if it was recut 11 or 23. And it's a relief B.

So, with those clues in hand I was able to narrow it down to 25R1L. And using the squish method (thanks Classic Coins) to compare the frame lines, I think I'm on the mark.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moyock13,

That's a nice looking cover, and a great example of the plate 1L upper-right gouging being more pronounced due to plate wear.

I'd say 25R1L is probably the correct position, but due to the printing and scan quality I didn't confirm it.

Whether 25R1L is a 1+23 recut or a 1+11+23 recut may be a matter of interpretation. In descriptive terms, I'd say the LIL runs up too far and connects to a single line recut in the ULT.

Edit: fixed a typo
Edited by Classic Coins - 06/06/2021 12:32 am
Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 06/06/2021   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my n░ 9 ??? unused
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 06/06/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
naufrago, Yes, that is a #9. Nice stamp!
Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 06/06/2021   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you,classic coins,will put the all collection for sale in a week or so,about 20 classics with certs and the rest without about 100 classics,regards
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,

Back to the fun. I see this as having a left inner line only with no visible guide dots. It has a tear in the upper right corner. My reason for acquiring this one was the imprint to the right. Assuming the above observations are correct, the plating tool narrows this down rather quickly (Recut variety 4 with imprint to the right). (60R1E & 60R1i). The imprint positioning of lettering appears to line up with POS 60.

In looking at the available plating samples, 60R1E seems the most likely. In neither case does the left inner line seem as strong as the copy above but given the imprint this seems like the only choice to make.

Open to any feedback.

Thanks
Hobsun
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hobsun --

Great to see you back on the board posting more stamps for plating confirmation!

You are correct that with the portion of the imprint showing, the stamp has to be position 60R -- but it is not from either plate 1E or 1i.

If you look closely, your stamp has a very lightly recut right inner line -- which is typical of plate 5 late -- and your stamp is a solid match to 60R5L in all regard.

You can easily view 4 reference copies of 60R5L -- two on stampplating.com -- and two on stampsmarter.org -- take a look and let us know what you think?

Nice imprint copy by the way!

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Ioagoa,

As always, Thanks. I was concerned about this one (not only regarding the inner frameline being stronger than the examples provided but I was also not convinced it was orange brown in color) and this lead me to post it for feedback. I can now see the light inner frameline at the right. In this case again, one of my primary observations proved to be incorrect. I should have been more aggressive in looking for alternatives given my concerns. Opening this up to having two inner lines would have still kept my search small given the imprint.

The 60L5L has too strong a right inner frameline to match and is relief "C" so this is out. The left frameline has some telling parts that align very well with my stamp. The small extra inking that is found just left of the top of the lower left triangle is nicely matched. Also that frameline shows signs of weakness in similar areas. Obviously this designation also addresses my concern over this being an orange brown color.

Thanks again for your help. I have another element to add to my knowledge base - expand the potentials when it just doesn't feel right.

Hobsun

Valued Member
United States
29 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add photo61guy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott #10 and #10A plated 4R1E and 27R5E
Page: of 107 Previous TopicReplies: 1,603 / Views: 67,419Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05