Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,639 / Views: 70,280Next Topic
Page: of 110
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PKsPassport to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is it possible to have more than one type of 1857 10 cent perf stamp on the same cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1523 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely. It even is possible to have different types in the same multiple.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/01/2021   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been going through some of the 3c issues that I bought recently and have been neglecting even looking at them. There were 10 3c and one 1c stamp that have been sitting in the original envelopes unopened. I opened them and scanned them today. Only one has a chance to be a 10A an only one is a #11. The other 8 are #11As. This is #11. I think that I plated it strictly using the compression technique as 60L7. I would appreciate any comments.

Edited by jaxom100 - 07/01/2021 9:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the only one of that group that may be a #10A. It looks like it has some oxidation. Not sure where to start looking on this one.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
718 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of the oxidized stamps I have plated they are either plate 2L or 3.
This isn't to say that there may be other plates where the ink has oxidized...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom100, I agree with your plating of the #11 to position 60L7. Nice job with the compression technique!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the only one of that group that may be a #10A. It looks like it has some oxidation. Not sure where to start looking on this one.

This stamp looks oxidized, and it likely was printed in brownish carmine or claret. It almost certainly was not printed in orange brown. I would start by narrowing down to the non-OB plates that have inner lines and one line recut at the top of the UR diamond block. From there, a compressed image will reveal distinct curves in the right lines.

https://www.uspcs.org/stamps-covers...2%a2-plates/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
790 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, try a compression check against 40L2L. It looks close.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 07/02/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I plated the oxidized stamp. Here are some more clues:

- It is an 11A
- It's not from plate 2L
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geesh, I finally found it with 3 choices left to look at. After searching through the long list, I found it at stamp number 237. It appears to be 98R5L. I was ready to give up and start the list over again.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom,

Well done! Yeah, unfortunately, going in plate number/position sequence required getting to the third to the last position of the #11A plates, but you nailed it!

Let us know how you're progressing with plating your other 11As.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, it took 2 1/2 hours. Compressed about 10% of them, when it looked close. Too bad I don't have those compression charts finished. It would have saved a lot of time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1880 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I use compressed Chase Smithsonian images to save time on my plating. I don't remember, do you have the Chase print images?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I do not have the Chase Smithsonian images. If I did, my compression charts would be a lot easier to make. Instead, I have to hunt down images. Too bad an unnamed person had to be a jerk by refusing to let me use his images, or else I would be nearly done with my charts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1001 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found that there was another #11 in this group. It is a relief B. It almost appears to have two guide dots. I wonder which one is correct. It also appears that the bottom line has been recut and possibly one line in upper right triangle.

Page: of 110 Previous TopicReplies: 1,639 / Views: 70,280Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05