Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,661 / Views: 72,283Next Topic
Page: of 111
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1888 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Chase Smithsonian images can be downloaded for free at this link. Just click the download icon:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/natio...78765445003/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/03/2021   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appears that I have those charts. I went to save them and found them. I downloaded them anyway and they are the same as I had.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 --

Regarding the Scott #11 you posted yesterday -- and for which you wrote:

Quote:
It is a relief B. It almost appears to have two guide dots. I wonder which one is correct. It also appears that the bottom line has been recut and possibly one line in upper right triangle

You are correct that the stamp is a B relief.

Regarding the appearance of the stamp having double guide dots -- I believe that the actual GD is protruding from the LR corner of the LRDB -- and the inking at the LR corner of the LLB is just a blob of stray ink.

As you noted, the BFL has been heavily recut -- which, for stamps without recut inner lines, is typical of plates 4 and 8. That said, the weak LFL is typical of plate 4. So, based on the combination of the weak LFL and the heavily recut BFL -- I would start the hunt on plate 4.

The ULT has not been recut on your stamp.

FYI -- stamps from plate 4 are some of the easiest to identify when trying to determine the plate from which the stamp was printed (i.e., the combination of the weak LFL, the LFL often being too close to the design, and the heavily recut BFL). That said -- stamps from plate 4 can be some of the most challenging when it comes to figuring the position on the plate -- and your stamp has the TFL completely cut off -- which adds to the challenge.

In any event, I have tentatively plated your stamp -- and have sent it to a fellow plater for confirmation -- so once I hear back from him, I should be able to either confirm your plating or, if you prefer, reveal the position.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1888 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom100, Would you please re-scan and upload a 1200-DPI image of the last stamp you posted? There is a scanner line running diagonally through the right side of the stamp image that is interfering with confirming the position. It runs through the right frame line, causing an artificial bend in the line. It is also visible in the closeup image, slicing through the right edge of the lower label block.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
797 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jaxom, my guess is left side plate 4. Several decent candidates. In order of of my preference: 88, 44, 84, 60.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins, here is the rescan.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
916 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a plate crack through the T and H in three?
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 -- With the posting of your rescan -- I was able to eliminate any doubt about my plating of your stamp -- so at any time I am happy to either confirm your plating or reveal the position -- whichever you prefer.

Caper123 -- great work! -- Jaxom's stamp does in fact plate to 1 of the 4 positions you identified. As a further hint -- 60L4 can be eliminated as it is an A relief and Jaxom's stamp is a B relief.

Laurie02 -- there is not a plate crack on Jaxom100's stamp. Normally a plate crack would show as a line if ink where there should be none -- and I do not see anything like that on Jaxom's stamp. Under maximum zoom -- a couple of stray ink specks maybe -- but not a plate crack.

Regards to All // ioagoa

edited for grammar fix only
Edited by ioagoa - 07/06/2021 11:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1888 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the new scan, jaxom100. That removed scanner line causing an artificial bend in the right frame line. This is very helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that 88L4 is a match.

Edited by jaxom100 - 07/06/2021 3:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/06/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 -- YES -- 88L4 is correct. Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two stamps that I just acquired. Any hints which plates to start with?

Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 --

I plated both of your stamps this evening.

The first one (with the manuscript cancel that is comprised of 3 diagonal pen strokes) is a Scott #11 -- inner lines are not recut -- and it is from plate #7.

The second one (with the manuscript cancel that looks like 2 slashes and a scribbling) is a Scott #11A -- inner lines recut -- and it is from plate 1L.

I am happy to either confirm your plating or reveal the positions -- whichever you prefer.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the first stamp I came up with 3 choices, 62R7, 68L7 or 85R7.

Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 --

Great work narrowing down the candidate list -- and the correct position is among the 3 possibilities that you have identified.

If you closely study the positioning of the guide dot -- and also the white spacing between the Frame Lines and the Diamond Blocks in each of the 4 corners -- I think you should be able to nail this one. I would also recommend that you use "side by side", full sized images, scaled to the same size on your screen for this exercise.

Again -- I am happy to reveal the position if you want me to.

Regards // ioagoa
Page: of 111 Previous TopicReplies: 1,661 / Views: 72,283Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05