Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,603 / Views: 67,417Next Topic
Page: of 107
Pillar Of The Community
United States
986 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second stamp I have found the position to be 88R1L. The compressed lines match, the guide dot matches and there is a scratch in the "U" of "U.S." that is easy to see on my stamp and is barely perceptible in the other two images.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
986 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the first stamp, the best match appears to be 68L7.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 --

YES -- you are correct on both stamps -- the #11 is 68L7 and the #11A is 88R1L.

Another interesting thing about the 88R1L is that for part of its length, the RFL is recut so far away from the design such that a portion of the recut FL from plate 1i carried over to 1L, showing as a faint doubling.

Again -- great work on these.

Regards // ioagoa

Edited by ioagoa - 07/14/2021 8:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
906 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all, me again!
Can anyone assist with an id for this stamp?
I'm thinking a type ll?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1505 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like a sharper image in order to see the qualities of the lower frame line more clearly, but it does appear to be a Type II based on this photo.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
906 Posts
Posted 07/18/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dudley that's the picture that was sent to me. Once I have it in hand I'll put up sharper 8mages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2388 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with dudley, a better scan will help.

The ornaments beneath the bottom line, below C of CENT is something that is mostly seen on bottom row stamps, where there was no influence of guide reliefing to iron out that very bottom.

Also, there is an apparent lack of a guide dot which is consistent with bottom row stamps (and also 10L/10R column stamps).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   3:09 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been looking for a better Scott #13 for a while. Finally won one yesterday that will do.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First time poster to this thread. Did some shopping today and bought these two 11's.

tiny corner crease at lower left, light black cancel (assume NE = New York), large margins except left top, might have a horizontal crease (I see a bend from the back, but with back lighting I do not see the fibers broken like I can with the corner crease)

nice color, blue cancel (I can make out the (S)EP but not the town), nick upper right corner - what I am unsure about is the top frame line - is it just weakly printed or scuffed off?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup, rlsny. That's a beauty!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eyeonwall, Those are two beautiful, four-margin #11s! Did you get them at a stamp shop?

Your first stamp has no inner lines and a guide dot at lower-right.

The top line on your second stamp is faint because was not recut. It shows the thin top frame line that was transferred from the master die via the transfer roll. This stamp is from the top row of plate 6, 7 or 8. It has a gash on the shoulder (C-relief), and at least two guide dots at upper-right.

You can try plating these, using the position of the guide dots for starters, using the plating wizard at stampplating.com.

http://www.stampplating.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic - thanks for the explanation of the weak to frame line. I did notice the shoulder gash, but forgot to mention it, and the two guide dots at top. On the other one I assume you are referring to the mark inside the frame that is attached to the diamond box for lack of a better name. I have never tried plating and am too brain dead today to try courtesy of a 2:30 AM fire alarm in my apartment building.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1872 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eyeonwall,

You're welcome. And yes, that's a guide dot by the lower-right diamond block.

Let us know if you want to try plating these (take your time), or if you want to know the positions. A hint on the first one is that it is from plate 8.
Page: of 107 Previous TopicReplies: 1,603 / Views: 67,417Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05