Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,666 / Views: 72,456Next Topic
Page: of 112
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6267 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackpot. Your pictures are fuzzy and need to be cropped to show the detail in each stamp.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/16/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Will try again new here so trying to get the hang of it lol thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 09/19/2021   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackpot, the 5 and 10 cent stamps in your last posted group of images appear to be fakes or reproductions.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No way I have certification by PSE
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1889 Posts
Posted 09/20/2021   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do the certs say the 5 and 10 cent stamps are numbers 3 and 4 (reproductions)?
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes 3 and 4 reprinted but not fake still nice with them not have been used or canceled but thank you
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/21/2021   01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do anyone know what Scott number are the stamps I posted are they pony express?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few 3c 1851's that I haven't posted here before. I have all of these id'ed as 10's or 10A's. Some have been plated, some not. Some were bought individually, some were in a large 3c 1851 lot that I bought a few years ago.

The first one I bought from Gold Medal Mail Sales, in the 1980's and thought it looked neat with the 'cut-to-shape' piece.

I got this strip of 3 at a Rumsey sale a few years ago. According to their description the 5-1/2mm single bar NYC town cancel was only used in August 1851 for 2 weeks. I also like the 'mis-registration' between the 'height' of the left pair of stamps.

Here is one cancelled with a NY US Express Mail cancel. I think it shows the cancel nicely.

Here is a 14L5e showing double transfer in the top and bottom labels. I got this in a large lot, probably because of the tiny facial scrape to the right of Washington's bust. Still, I like it!

I got this copy in a large lot. Should be easy to plate, but haven't attempted it yet.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
40 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice imperforates. thanks for sharing!
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mootermutt987 --

Those are some nice 1851 3-centers.

I especially like the strip of 3 with the multiple XF strikes of the scarce "NYC single bar" cds. Yours is a beauty and they don't come much better.

On the plating -- a couple of observations:

I am thinking that the first stamp (the one with the "cut to shape" Portland, ME cds) is a plate 1 Late candidate given the gouge in the URDB.

The last stamp (the one with the center line showing) -- looks like a plate 6/7 candidate -- primarily based on the impression and the recut BFL which is weak for part of its length.

If you want to send me a PM via SCF -- and then follow-up with higher resolution scans -- I would be happy to plate (or confirm) any or all of these for you.

Thanks for showing this group.

Regards //ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1532 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackpot, a thorough look at Larry Lyons' book on carriers and locals indicates that your Pony express stamp is original (not a reprint or forgery), Scott #143L5.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa - All these stamps are in the bank and I have been unable to get into there due to the COVID. For whatever reason that I cannot fathom, that particular branch has hour-long+ lines out the door every day --- I go by there often and am shocked that people will go there to wait when there are other branches of the same bank (and many branches of other banks, all with ATMs) within 2 miles. I don't have higher res scans, and don't have the stamps handy to re-scan at higher DPI. (:-(

The sheet margin example, with centerline, at the end of my earlier post came to me in a large lot. I id'ed it as a #10 at the time. As I was posting my post yesterday, and looking at the scans I noticed the traits that you wrote of in your response. I put a 'note' in my head that I need to re-visit that stamp. To me, the concrete way to differentiate the 10/10A from the 11/11A is to plate the example in question.

I got a few large lots of 3c '51s a few years ago and found myself sitting on a few hundred stamps, all 'needing' to be plated. There were clearly many OB's in the lots (so there was decent value there), plus I had other projects going on at the time, so I put them all in the bank before I gave them the time they deserved. I scanned a bunch, with SCF in mind (so... NOT at high resolution) and then whisked them off to the bank. I have learned a lesson from all this - multiple scans would be better - one for SCF in mind (200k-300k), plus a high res, for each stamp in the future.
Page: of 112 Replies: 1,666 / Views: 72,456Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05