Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,745 / Views: 77,504Next Topic
Page: of 117
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also like the NYC single bar cancel strip. That's a nice item.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/03/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks you Dudley I have more pics to show but trying to retake them will be posting thanks again Dud
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was written-up as "10" but that is usually wrong and it would be 10A I guess even if it is an orange brown.

Can anyone of you give some hints on where to start looking on the plates to make a correct determination?

[edit: by the way, the color on this image on my screen does not look very close to the color of the stamp to my eyes. So probably don't focus on the color. The hope is that I get lucky with plating]

Edited by rlsny - 10/07/2021 5:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RLSNY --

Your 3-cent imperf 1851-1857 stamp with the blue circular grid cancel is a B relief -- no guide dot -- and has an extremely large margin at bottom -- thus it is a "bottom row stamp".

Based on your scan -- the overall inking and impression does not look like any of the OB plates (i.e., 1E, 1i, 2E, 5E, and 0).

Both inner lines have been recut - so that eliminates plates 4, 6, 7, and 8.

The URDB is not gouged -- so that eliminates plate 1L (as the only 2 stamps on plate 1L where the URDB was not gouged out are both inter-pane stamps with prominent guide dots).

Based on your scan, the recut inner lines look too strong for plate 5L -- so that leaves plates 2L or 3 as the most likely.

The RFL has a couple of weak spots that scream "re-entry" -- so I would start the hunt on the bottom row of plate 2L -- and if you cannot find it there, I would move on to plate 3.

The relationship between the LFL and LIL is very distinctive -- and I would suggest using that as the "feature" to look for as you eliminate possibilities. Once you have a "short list" of candidates -- carefully check everything else and make sure it fits (i.e., FL / IL relationships, FL / label block relationships, FL / DB spacing, FL / rosette spacing, IL end points relative to each of the 4 rosettes, label block recuts, URDB recut, and any other variety of recutting that you may note, shifted transfers, etc., etc.

As an aside -- the determining factor for figuring the Scott number is 100% based on two factors: First, the the plate from which the stamp was printed -- and second, if either inner line (or part of an inner line) has been recut. Thus, the color of the stamp has no bearing on the Scott number. Consequently, when you have a stamp in hand where the color and impression cause you to be unsure of the Scott number -- the only 100% sure way to figure if the stamp is a 10, 10A, 11, or 11A is to plate the stamp.

On your stamp -- give it a go-around on plates 2L and 3 -- let us know what you come up with -- and I will confirm your plating for you -- or point you in the right direction for another go-around.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
159 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   8:27 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, I really appreciate your postings here as you are educating a number of followers in this thread in how to approach the analysis of the stamp and logic in narrowing down the choices. Thanks very much.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your detailed answer. I think I found it. It looks like 92L3. 11A.
Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 10/07/2021   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot -- you are welcome -- and your kind words are appreciated -- thank you.

Hi RLSNY -- YES -- position 92L3 (thus,Scott #11A) is correct. Great job!

Regards to All // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
806 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plate 3L is famous for funky left lines - doubled, tripled, faint, almost merging together, etc. Way to figure it out rlsny! Assembling plate 3L can be a lot of fun!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/55228

I agree with mootermutt that learning about the plate 3 three-rows is a good place for anyone interested in plating 3c stamps, to start. It's pretty easy to plate and will give you an idea of whether you are interested in going deeper or not.
Edited by txstamp - 10/08/2021 11:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1208 Posts
Posted 10/08/2021   11:54 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. My experience with plating is not good. So it is nice to find one now and then.
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 10/10/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Updated pictures

Valued Member
United States
227 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All --

Here is a scan of an unplated Scott #11A that was in a batch of recently acquired bulk plating material. The interesting thing about this stamp that caught my eye is the cancel -- as it is not often that one sees a "fancy cancel" on an 1851 - 1857 3c imperforate.

I checked Skinner and Eno -- as well as Simpson's to see if I could match it to a tracing -- but no cigar.

I am wondering if the cancel is fake or genuine -- as there also appears to be a very faint and smudgy (i.e., removed ??) cds cancel at lower right. UV lighting reveals nothing else that is unusual.

Any comments on the cancel ID -- or thoughts about the cancel being genuine or fake are appreciated -- and, yes, as I type this I realize the limitations of working from a scanned image -- but alas this is the next best thing to having the stamp in hand.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
730 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ioagoa, anything significant on the reverse side? Just for kicks experiment shining different brightnesses of light thru the stamp. Might pick up more shadows.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1897 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackpot, Your #11 and #10A in your most recent post are beautiful stamps. Thanks for showing them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
159 Posts
Posted 10/22/2021   3:52 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a stamp that I recently acquired and wish to post as I was able to use the hydrogen peroxide in a closed container to improve the stamp color and think it worked quite well. I am thinking this is an example of why the recutting needed to be done as many features are of poor definition. Comments appreciated.
Page: of 117 Previous TopicReplies: 1,745 / Views: 77,504Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05