Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,891 / Views: 84,128Next Topic
Page: of 127
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reposting image of stamp after being soaked and pressed overnight. Looking much better. I wish the crease wasn't there at the bottom, but oh well.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1041 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about taking the stamps that Ioagoa has that match the Chase examples and putting them in place of the Chase copies and moving the Chase copies to the third position. The 1200 dpi color examples are much better quality than the Chase b/w prints. Any thoughts on that idea?
Learn More...
United States
10124 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   12:56 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the way you have it now, with the green border designating the Chase image and keeping all the Chase illustrations as illustrations (for consistency).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1041 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am having problems finding the issues that Chase denotes as having "ghost dots". These are the ones designated as such: 12R5L, 32R5L, 52R5L, 53R5L, 72R5L, 73R5L. I need to find copies of these stamps showing the ghost dots. We have one listed as 53R5L in the database but I think that it is incorrectly plated. I think that it is 73R5L. It is showing an upper right guide dot in the border between the stamps. The only one that I could find above the positions with the ghost dot that has a guide dot between the borders is 63R5L. Take a look at this stamp in the 53R5L slot and the image that I constructed below it showing the guide dot on 63R5L and the compression images of 53R5L and 73R5L and tell me what you all think.

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jaxom100 --

On the Chase stamps -- I agree with Don -- I like how you have it set up now -- so, my preference is to keep all the Chase photographic images "as is" -- and then highlight the actual ex-Chase 1200 dpi stamp images with the green border as you have done.

On the 53R5L -- that is also my stamp -- and the GD at the top is not a "ghost dot" -- but is actually the GD from the adjoining position 43R5L above that sits very far below its BFL. The "ghost dot" at the bottom of my 53R5L is a solid match with the Chase stamp and other reference copies that I have looked at.

I am not going to speak to the differences in the compressed images again -- as it would just be a repeat of the comments I made in my post responding to your prior query about my 42R5L possibly being incorrectly plated.

Perhaps Classic Coins can weigh in with his assessment / comments about the differences in the compressed scans that you are seeing?

In any event, I am confident that my 53R5L stamp posted up to the StampSmarter database is correctly plated.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1926 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jaxom100,

Regarding the dispute you have with the top dot position on ioagoa's 53R5L, I would first suggest that you compare the positioning of the dot at top with the position of the dot at the bottom of adjoining position 43R5L in the stampplating.com database. At the bottom of the color image of 43R5L, I can see the top frame line of 53R5L, and I'm seeing a perfect match with the GD position at the top of ioagoa's 53R5L. Even the shape of the dot is a match, which I don't think is the case with the GD of 63R5L.

Regarding 73R5L possibly being a match, I attached the Stamp Smarter copy of 73R5L to the bottom of this compressed composite image to show that the spacing between the RIL and RFL is not consistent with 53R5L.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1926 Posts
Posted 12/05/2021   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper1249, Your pressed and compressed 52R5E image matches the 52R5E reference copies much better now.

Since I started using the compressed image technique for plating six years ago, I have always made sure that I soak and press my 3-cent imperforates when I acquire them.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1041 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found where I made my error. Both of these stamps are in the database for 43R5L. In error, I chose the stamp on the right for the guide dot image (in the bottom border line). I therefore looked at my chart on the 43R5L as being on the line and not below it. That is why I ruled out 53R5L. I will change my guide dot chart. Thanks.

I mean no disrespect when I question a stamp's plating. I just want to avoid mistakes in my charts like this one. So when I run across something that does not look right to me, I post here for the expert's opinion. I am not an expert at plating these. But I am putting forth my best effort on these charts. So bear with me when I have questions.

PS: If anyone has images of the other stamps showing the ghost dot, I would appreciate a copy for the guide dot chart. They are: 12R5L, 32R5L, 52R5L, 53R5L, 72R5L, 73R5L.
Edited by jaxom100 - 12/06/2021 03:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stepping out of my comfort zone, not that platting the 3 cent imperfs makes me comfortable! =)
So I picked up three one cent imperfs on a cover, add said that they were a mixture of Scott 7&9's. I figured what the heck, I'd like to tinker with the process of platting these guys.

So starting off with not much more than a general idea, here's what I've got. Not asking for someone to plat these, I'd like a general idea of where to start. Looking at them I'm not seeing a lot of difference between them. It is unfortunate that the center stamp is so badly creased.

Edited by Moyock13 - 12/06/2021 11:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1926 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting 3-cent trio, Moyock13. Any chance you could post or email a 1200-DPI image?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can email you a 1200 dpi image. Headed your way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its often good to figure out the relief first - especially if you are looking to go more in-depth.
The relief will also give you a better clue as to how and where to look for potential recut top and/or bottom frame lines - which tells you whether you have a #9 (Plate 1L) or not.

These stamps are from transfer roll #1, which made plates 1E, 1L, 2 and 3.

What relief is each?

A full scan of the cover would also be nice to see, as it can provide information such as date + year of use, which can help further narrow things down in difficult cases.
Edited by txstamp - 12/06/2021 12:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding recuts, the three reliefs from roll #1 are called T, A and B.

T reliefs are top row only, and are never recut at top. So you only have to look for a recut at bottom.

The bottom row stamps are never recut at bottom. Most bottom row stamps are B reliefs, with a few exceptions which are A. So if you know a stamp is bottom-row, you only have to check for a recut at top.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a folded letter dated 31 Aug 1857. I'm always a bit nervous unfolding these old letters.

Nothing on the back.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/06/2021   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the date of the letter doesn't eliminate any plates.

See page 53-54 of Neinken for the T-A-B reliefs, and compare to your stamps.
Page: of 127 Previous TopicReplies: 1,891 / Views: 84,128Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05